displayMessage (No) Button Option

pimpmoe
New Contributor

Hello

i'm using "jamf displayMessage" to show the user a message before a installation begins to run a the logout:

jamf displayMessage "Installing software, please wait..."

When i run this command it will show the message and also one "OK" button.

But i want to show just the message without any button inside. Can i set an option that disable any button in the message?

I install Apple Updates in the background when the user makes a logout (shutdown, restart, logout). After the installation the mac shutdown or restart or go to the login screen, he do just tha what the user had choose bevor. The message just inform the user, any button is not necessary :)

I hope you can help me.

Best regards

moe

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Instead of the displayMessage switch to the JAMF binary, use the jamfHelper app instead. You can invoke this command in the following way to lock the screen:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType fs -description "Installing Apple Software Updates.  Your machine will restart when completed." &

You can get more information on how to use the switches if you open the terminal and issue:

sudo /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -help

I typically use this in a "before" script to lock the screen and then do my installs at logout. Just make sure if you use it that you issue a "killall jamfHelper" in the "Run command" dialog box of the Advanced tab in a policy.

Do a search of the JAMFNation site for more discussions on jamfHelper. We've had plenty over the last few years.

Steve

View solution in original post

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Use the jamfHelper instead to display your message. If you don't explicitly specify a button, none will be shown. Something like this:

#!/bin/sh

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -description "Installing software, please wait..."

Note that jamfHelper must also be run as root, so as long as your script is running from within Casper it should work fine.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think when run this way, you'll need to kill the jamfHelper process to make the message go away. I think there's a flag for that in the help-

sudo /Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -help

Edit: Heh, funny. Nearly similar posts from Steve and I :) You get the picture though!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Instead of the displayMessage switch to the JAMF binary, use the jamfHelper app instead. You can invoke this command in the following way to lock the screen:

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType fs -description "Installing Apple Software Updates.  Your machine will restart when completed." &

You can get more information on how to use the switches if you open the terminal and issue:

I typically use this in a "before" script to lock the screen and then do my installs at logout. Just make sure if you use it that you issue a "killall jamfHelper" in the "Run command" dialog box of the Advanced tab in a policy.

Do a search of the JAMFNation site for more discussions on jamfHelper. We've had plenty over the last few years.

Steve

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Use the jamfHelper instead to display your message. If you don't explicitly specify a button, none will be shown. Something like this:

#!/bin/sh

/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/jamfHelper -windowType utility -description "Installing software, please wait..."

Note that jamfHelper must also be run as root, so as long as your script is running from within Casper it should work fine.

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I think when run this way, you'll need to kill the jamfHelper process to make the message go away. I think there's a flag for that in the help-

Edit: Heh, funny. Nearly similar posts from Steve and I :) You get the picture though!