Distribution Point Password change fails

JoergR
New Contributor II

Hi, I am trying to change the SMB password on a DP, however the password is not being passed through to the clients or the Jamf Admin.
So far for initial testing we only had one user set up for the read and the read+write user, I now change the SMB password on the DP and in Jamf under "File Share Distribution Points".
After that I start the Jamf Admin and can't replicate anymore.

"ERROR: The distribution point could not be mounted. The replication operation will stop".

Manual mounting works fine, also replicate if already mounted manually.

If I change it back to the old password it works normally again.
Password length or special characters do not seem to be the problem.
I can't find anything about this in the instructions either.

Jamf 10.37.2

Maybe someone has some good advice, I'm running out of ideas.

4 REPLIES 4

scottlep
Contributor II

Jamf has no way to change the password on the server side. The password would need to be changed on whatever server is hosting the SMB DP. Then that new password would need to be updated within the JSS, which would then be used by the clients to access the DP. New password that is set on server side should then work for Jamf Admin too.

JoergR
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick reply, but that is what I have already done.
I changed the password on the Unix SMB Server (DP) and entered the new password in the settings of the DP in our Jamf Pro Cloud.

scottlep
Contributor II

Have you tested the new password by just manually mounting the share on a Mac? We have also seen where the SMB path that we previously used in the Jamf settings just decides to stop working after editing/updating the password. Unfortunately we no longer use internal DPs so I cant provide an example, but IIRC it came down to trailing forward slash or something like that where Jamf no longer liked the path. Also, some special characters like # ! $, etc should be avoided as we have seen them cause issues depending on how the password is passed to the server for authentication.

JoergR
New Contributor II

sorry for the late reply,
yes manual mount worked after each password change.
We have now disabled the DP and will set up a new one if we see the need again. Right now there are not many employees in the office and it doesn't seem to make a difference.