Do Default Apps require an ABM Purchase?

MBHardt
New Contributor II

Howdy folks! 

I am looking to add a few native apple apps back to my devices (I was a little too restrictive in my initial set-up) but now that I am adjusting my config profiles to include these apps (specifically Clock and Translate) they aren't showing up. . . is that because I haven't purchased them and scoped them to my devices? I would have thought that just by adding them into App Usage section of the payload (and home screen layout) it would add them in. 

I tried adding them manually into the Mobile apps section, but when I scope them to the device its prompting for the user to sign in with an AppleID. I looked for them in my Apple Business Manager Account, but I can't find the native apps listed in there at all. Am I missing a key step here? Do these apps live elsewhere in the restrictions and I'm missing it? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MBHardt
New Contributor II

Hello Friends! 

A quick resolution update here! Hooray! Thanks to the help of the Jamf Team, we were able to identify this as a couple of different factors. Not all of them might apply to you future "peruser" of this post. . . but hopefully it will spark something for you that helps resolve the issue. 

Issue 1) iOS version -- The translate app wasn't made available until Version 15 -- so if your device is NOT updated to that version (which frustratingly, my test devices were not) they will not show up regardless of what settings you have entered. a little frustrated at myself for not thinking through this originally. 

Issue 2) because these were EXCLUDED from the original install -- they WILL need to be included in the Allowed Apps configuration -- they DO NOT need to be purchased from the App Store or ABM App. . . but they need to have BOTH a name AND a Bundle ID included in the config profile in order to appear. (see Screenshot below), only having one or the other will NOT have it populate.

MBHardt_0-1705432300380.png

Issue 3) Conflicting Config profiles -- i had been adding in the Apps into multiple config profiles and this was creating a bit of a conflict/contradiction. So i have made an overarching change in all of my settings to only have apps deployed in one config profile and then we have "Home Page Layout" in another profile.  PLEASE NOTE: these apps are NOT required to be included in a Home Page Layout for them to be added to the device, they will just live nicely next to the settings app, but if you DO want to assign it to a specific spot it will take that recommendation if you do. 

Hope this helps you Future Reader!!! Big thank you to this community and all of the folks that helped reply and offer their two cents. It means a ton to me!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Jacobpotter
New Contributor

If you're not seeing these apps on your devices after adjusting configuration profiles, it's possible that there might be other factors at play. You might want to check the specific configuration settings related to app visibility, home screen layout, or restrictions within your MDM solution.

Best regard,
YourTexasBenefits

MBHardt
New Contributor II

Thanks @Jacobpotter  -- would you mind helping me brainstorm what they might be? 

I have checked and made the items visible in the following: 
~ Home Screen Layout (added them to page 2)
~ App Restrictions (awkwardly, I have these on BOTH the home screen layout profile AND its own profile, but  on both of them they are added in to the option of "Only Some apps allowed")
~ General Restrictions, (I added these also to the blanket "General restrictions" payload i have set up as well just in case my earlier version was too restrictive and it was defaulting to that. . . ) 

Other than these 3, I wasn't sure if they lived somewhere else. I know that apps like news and such have their own line items, but wasn't sure if these two apps (Translate and Clock) did also. . . that is why i went down the App/ABM route, thinking I needed to "purchase and deploy" these types of apps even though they are a default app. 

Bol
Valued Contributor

@MBHardt 
If they were hidden with a profile I would imagine when un-scoped, those apps would appear again, no issues.
I've had this before where students will delete a built in Apple app and I couldn't locate in School Manager but saw in the App Store. 
Only way I could resolve was to remove the app store restriction that I had set, search and then purchase for free using one of our old volume purchase accounts.
I imagine they aren't available for bulk licensing via ASM and it's something that needs to be tied to an individual app store login (with no difference who that is). All fine for several devices but to do this in bulk, I believe the quickest way would be erase / wipe the devices unfortunately. 
Would be fantastic is someone knows otherwise!!

Bol
Valued Contributor

I forgot to add, this was the only place I could find the stock apps and it only notes to head over to the app store.
https://apps.apple.com/au/developer/apple/id284417353?see-all=i-phonei-pad-apps

Bol_0-1693326322899.png

MBHardt
New Contributor II

Thanks @Bol  -- i was afraid that was going to be the answer. . . but like you, I am hopeful that someone here knows the magic trick to getting it to work. These just behave so much differently than others. I was able to make it work for Safari, but that has its own "restriction" setting that was able to be toggled. . . 

Thanks for reaching out. Keeping my fingers crossed for a magician to show up here!

Bol
Valued Contributor

Yes I have had one or two that have worked in the past, I can't recall which ones, to confuse things further I agree.

Well that might be me and not with the info you hoped for. See here on the built in bundle id's and Apple's vague guidance on re-installing these apps (no mention of device / user based or short version).
Bundle IDs for native iPhone and iPad apps

Bol_0-1693356415459.png
I created the app manually and was shown the following;

Bol_1-1693356537280.png
Note that assigning to device gave the same result, pointing the end user to the app store;

Bol_2-1693356568682.png

And on the device I was prompted to sign into the app store / sign up to the app store to install an app (that generic pop up that usually means Jamf isn't licensed for an app) ending in this;

Bol_6-1693357244398.png Bol_5-1693356826274.png
Configurator. 

Bol_4-1693356768996.png

I'm pretty sure those apps need to be assigned to an individual app store account or if not, wipe to restore the stock image.

MBHardt
New Contributor II

Hello Friends! 

A quick resolution update here! Hooray! Thanks to the help of the Jamf Team, we were able to identify this as a couple of different factors. Not all of them might apply to you future "peruser" of this post. . . but hopefully it will spark something for you that helps resolve the issue. 

Issue 1) iOS version -- The translate app wasn't made available until Version 15 -- so if your device is NOT updated to that version (which frustratingly, my test devices were not) they will not show up regardless of what settings you have entered. a little frustrated at myself for not thinking through this originally. 

Issue 2) because these were EXCLUDED from the original install -- they WILL need to be included in the Allowed Apps configuration -- they DO NOT need to be purchased from the App Store or ABM App. . . but they need to have BOTH a name AND a Bundle ID included in the config profile in order to appear. (see Screenshot below), only having one or the other will NOT have it populate.

MBHardt_0-1705432300380.png

Issue 3) Conflicting Config profiles -- i had been adding in the Apps into multiple config profiles and this was creating a bit of a conflict/contradiction. So i have made an overarching change in all of my settings to only have apps deployed in one config profile and then we have "Home Page Layout" in another profile.  PLEASE NOTE: these apps are NOT required to be included in a Home Page Layout for them to be added to the device, they will just live nicely next to the settings app, but if you DO want to assign it to a specific spot it will take that recommendation if you do. 

Hope this helps you Future Reader!!! Big thank you to this community and all of the folks that helped reply and offer their two cents. It means a ton to me!!

Bol
Valued Contributor

I tried adding them manually into the Mobile apps section, but when I scope them to the device its prompting for the user to sign in with an AppleID. I looked for them in my Apple Business Manager Account, but I can't find the native apps listed in there at all. Am I missing a key step here? Do these apps live elsewhere in the restrictions and I'm missing it? 

That's great. What resolved the issue of device prompting users to sign in with an Apple ID? (built in apps).