DockUtil Printer icons

daubertjd
New Contributor

Hi All,

I have DockUtil working nearly perfectly in my environment. I'm just running into one last issue.

We have a student fine arts lab that's always had a pretty heavily customized desktop for students. I've been able to recreate nearly every feature except for placing the printer icons users Dock.

The code i'm attempting to use is:

#!/bin/sh
sudo dockutil --add /Users/$3/Library/Printers/B&W Rm. 220.app --allhomes --position 38
sudo dockutil --add /Users/$3/Library/Printers/B&W Rm. 224.app --allhomes --position 39
sudo dockutil --add /Users/$3/Library/Printers/Canon Color.app --allhomes --position 40

Each of the above printers is configured in System Preferences.

My issue is that the user must open system preferences, double click the printer, and open the printer queue monitor window before the .app will populate in /Users/$3/Library/Printers/. Until the printer queue is manually opened you just get the ? icon in the dock.

It seems like that PrinterName.app object doesn't exist anywhere on the system until a user actually looks at the object in System Preferences.

I haven't had a chance to try and copy the working PrinterName.App object from a working machine and replicate it across the lab and reference it instead of the one that is created in /Users/$3/Library/Printers/.

Has anyone else encountered or solved this problem?

As an update:
I attempted to copy the printer alias.app files from a specific user to a shared file location and then replicated the changes across the entire lab.

The dock icons did appear correctly...but they were useless, they didn't actually point to the printer queue on the machine.

0 REPLIES 0