Does Activation Date/Time happen at the time requested or after Check-in

CapU
Contributor III

228afbefeca14dbabd7c524a4f99b84b
I need to make sure some media show up at a certain time. My question is if I need some files that I have hidden using a script, that if I run a script at 12:30 to un-hide, will the files show up precisley at 12:30 or after the checkin after 12:30

3 REPLIES 3

Josh_Smith
Contributor III

The policy won't run until the Mac checks in sometime after 12:30.

A couple of ways you could do it at exactly 12:30:
- Initiate it through Casper remote at exactly 12:30 (requires you to not be at lunch=bad plan)
- Make the policy available in Self Service at 12:30, users can kick it off
- Put a Launch Daemon on the Macs that will run at a specific time. You could either have it run the whole script or just call a custom trigger to run the policy from the JSS. Apple article on Scheduled Jobs: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPSystemStartup/Chapters/ScheduledJobs.html

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yes, like @Josh.Smith said, making a policy run at an exact time isn't easy. There's nothing built into Casper Suite/jamf Pro to make that happen, other than some of the methods he mentioned. None are great solutions, but its all you're going to be able to do really.

CapU
Contributor III

I have to make the Media visible at a certain time then hidden a few hours later. I can build this all in one plist correct? I can reference several different times and scripts within the one plist?