Dual Boot Partition Issues

m_higgins
Contributor

I have infront of me an iMac that has 256 Apple flash storage, but I cannot for the life of me get Casper Imaging to partition the drive and install the dual boot image we have. Is there a problem with SSD's?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Aziz
Valued Contributor

I'm having the same issues if that matters.

I have been trying to split my drive with Casper Imaging into HFS and NTFS, Casper Imaging 9.72 gave me that error. I haven't tried 9.73 yet.

Edit:

Just tested 9.73 and it also failed.

37bd83da1d484bb89aed9772044ef768

A script might be needed.

Edit 2: Script works fine.

Set to 'Before' in your imaging config.

diskutil partitiondisk disk0 2 GPTFormat JHFS+ MacintoshHD 500G MS-DOS WINDOWS 400G

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@m.higgins can you try and erase the drive using Disk Utility first. Then try partitioning the drive in Disk Utility to make sure you can partition it. Sometimes Core Storage volumes can be difficult to partition.

m_higgins
Contributor

I can partition the drive in disk utility just fine, I also used terminal to erase the core storage so it is no longer a core storage volume

m_higgins
Contributor

I just keep getting this over and overb7c602b832d14c858987aa235b1a1fb9

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

What version of Casper Imaging are you using? I would think that if you've removed the core storage volume and you are still not able to partition the drive then there must be something wrong with Casper Imaging.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

I'm having the same issues if that matters.

I have been trying to split my drive with Casper Imaging into HFS and NTFS, Casper Imaging 9.72 gave me that error. I haven't tried 9.73 yet.

Edit:

Just tested 9.73 and it also failed.

37bd83da1d484bb89aed9772044ef768

A script might be needed.

Edit 2: Script works fine.

Set to 'Before' in your imaging config.

diskutil partitiondisk disk0 2 GPTFormat JHFS+ MacintoshHD 500G MS-DOS WINDOWS 400G

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Updated my post

m_higgins
Contributor

I will give this a go and let you know what happens!

m_higgins
Contributor

Still not having any luck. The problem seems to be that unless i tick erase target drive then I can't install windows. As soon as I tick it, it tries to re-partiton the drive even after the script has run!

m_higgins
Contributor

Ignore that, got it working!

Thanks for the help @Abdiaziz

dferrara
Contributor II

@Abdiaziz Is this a known bug then? What's the script doing that Casper Imaging isn't?

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@dferrara

I don't know if it's a known bug or not, I haven't checked into that.

As for the other part, Casper Imaging isn't partitioning the disk at all. It gives the error "Unable to create partition on disk0s2". So a script is needed to partition it (one of OS X, other for Windows).

dferrara
Contributor II

@Abdiaziz Thanks, I'll have to look into that. It's just annoying since partitioning is one of Casper Imaging's core functions (setting those variables in the GUI). I'm on 9.65.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@dferrara

I'm working on a script that merges a partitioned disk back into one, but I've ran into a lot of issues.

If anyone has any idea on how to merge the disk back into one "Macintosh HD", please share it!

dferrara
Contributor II

@m.higgins @Abdiaziz I just fixed this by changing the Windows partition name to "WINDOWS" instead of "Windows" in Casper Admin, with the lowercase. Apparently, any lowercase letters will throw an error that the name isn't supported by the MS-DOS filesystem.

Aziz
Valued Contributor

Hey @dferrara, do you know of a way to wipe a dual boot drive back into one?

Example:

Partiton 1: Macintosh HD

Partition 2: WINDOWS

--

What I want is just Macintosh HD. I been using this script, set to "before" and it just fails.

diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ MacintoshHD disk0

dferrara
Contributor II

@Abdiaziz Try this, it should destroy both partitions and leave Macintosh HD as a new JHFS+ volume.

diskutil mergePartitions JHFS+ [force] Macintosh HD WINDOWS