Dualboot Question....

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks;

I Have a Dualboot setup via winclone, no problems imaging after following the suggestions on the site.I do have problem with the system time. after setting up the Windows 7 side, I rebooted and the time on the OS X side is off by 4 hrs, which means AD clients cannot log in. Did anyone else have this issue, and how did you fix it? Already tried unbinding Windows 7 but the time remains the same.

Thanks

LS

8 REPLIES 8

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Setting your Macs to use a network time server should fix this issue. On boot, your Macs will check in with the time server and get the correct time. If the Mac's system clock is off, the clock will be reset to the right time.

If you don't run a time server in-house, Apple has several time servers available. If you're in North or South America, time.apple.com should work. Apple also has time.euro.apple.com and time.asia.apple.com.

bajones
Contributor II

I'm pretty sure that using the latest bootcamp drivers for your particular model Mac should prevent this issue.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the replies guys:

rtrouton- I've been using an in house NTP Server since 10.6.8, still defaults to GMT -4, they are fine prior to imaginging

bajones- ill check that in the AM

Thanks again

technicholas
Contributor

Hello - what we use is a network time script that runs on login and sets the time to the right timezone and verifies the time with a time server.

franton
Valued Contributor III

For example:

# Set System Timezone to avoid clock sync issues

systemsetup -settimezone Europe/London
systemsetup -setusingnetworktime on
systemsetup -setnetworktimeserver servername
/usr/sbin/ntpd -g -q

In order,
1) Sets the time zone location to London (where I am).
2) Tells the computer to use an ntp server
3) Sets the NTP server address
4) Forces the NTP daemon to do a time sync.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

This is supposedly fixed in later Boot Camp drivers. I've seen it be OK on Mountain Lion with a MacBookPro9,1, but not on a MacBookPro8,2.

Here's a registry hack you can do to the Windows side which will also resolve the issue:

http://yourmacguy.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/boot-camp-clock-sync/

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

Hi Folks;
1. tried the reg hack worked
2. ended up setting the Windows side to UTC time, which seemed to work. Windows is only used for compiling Lego Robotics stuff 3.franton I'm gonna keep that script nearby

Have good weekend gang

LS

franton
Valued Contributor III

That script of mine, we run once during our imaging process. The ntpd command we trigger on startup via Casper policy once per day. Keeps everything working nicely.