Enable Guided Access

DanSam
New Contributor III

With the upgrade iOS 6 came an interesting new feature for schools. It's called Guided Access. This is a feature that we would love to implement on a large scale at our elementary school without having to touch every iPad we have there (it's only 100, but still annoying to do by hand).

I can not seem to find a way to do this through mobile profiles, at least not yet. Does anyone know if this is something that can be done remotely, in any way? Does anyone know if there are plans to implement this in a future update of the JSS?

7 REPLIES 7

krusej23
New Contributor

I would also be interested in this.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

HI Jon,
Guided Access is the Apple mechanism used by Casper Focus, which is a free app in the App Store, from JAMF Software.
http://www.jamfsoftware.com/software/casper-focus
In your JSS you create classes, and add teachers (hopefully by LDAP) and you can also set start and end times.
They are also working on imports from Student information Systems to create classes.
"Teachers" can also clear passcodes and view battery status
Sandy

krusej23
New Contributor

I am just testing Casper Focus out right now. I just realized I did not turn Guided Access on for our iPads. I need some way to do that in order for Focus to work. Can't find a configuration profile for it.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

nope, you do not need to turn anything on on the iPads, but they do need to be supervised devices.
Once set up, the Teacher iPad "focuses" the devices, which triggers the JSS to send a profile. When the teacher "unfocuses" the device is released when the profile is removed

krusej23
New Contributor

Why did it pop up and say that it need guided access on when I tried to focus an app on the student iPad. Once I turned Guided access on then it worked fine.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

hmm, I don't know, but we have it in use and I'm POSITIVE I never enable Guided Access on the iPads.

Also, you can use "Lock to App" with Apple Configurator.
I use this to "Wake up" the wifi on carts to get them enrolled, by locking then to an internet-based app, refreshing and then releasing them with another refresh.

I have noticed that iOS 7.04 seems to be buggier with Guided Access (with Casper Focus or Apple Configurator).

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

double-clutch