Enforce Mobile Device Name not staying after Erase

murph
New Contributor III

We've had some iPads that the Enforce Mobile Device Name isn't staying checked after the device is erased. I feel one of the best cases for this is that we can have it named in casper and then following an erase it would still have the name we have given the device.

Was this a bug we hit on our end or is that expected behavior?

9 REPLIES 9

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

@smurphyusd346

The first question I'd have in this situation is are the affected devices supervised or not?

If they're not supervised, this would be expected behavior; for the feature to work as expected, the devices need to be supervised.

If they are supervised, the next step would be to get in touch with your Technical Account Manager and let them know which version of the JSS you're on and which iOS version the iPads in question are running.

Thanks!
Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

murph
New Contributor III

Yep, they were supervised running 8.0.2 on 9.51 now on 9.52

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Please update the thread with your findings - I'll try to test this as well.

thanks,

chris

CairoJXP
Contributor

I've recently been having issues with enforcing mobile device names as. They're all supervised and running all different versions of iOS 8. My testing has shown the following:

8.0 has enforce mobile device name but doesn’t work
8.0.2 has enforce mobile device name but doesn’t work
8.1 has enforce mobile device name but doesn’t work
8.1.1 only have asset tag option
8.1.2 has enforce mobile device name but doesn’t work

We're using 9.62 and I do believe it worked when on 9.5 and 9.52 but not anymore. I've contacted my Technical Account Manager but I thought I'd throw it out here as well.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

@CairoJXP can you clarify? 'Doesn't work' across an Erase, or in normal practice? If the former, how is the erase being done?

Jennifer_Green
New Contributor
New Contributor

I would like to add to this - We are running JSS 9.65 / iOS devices are 8.1 and Supervised. When I modify the settings to enforce Mobile Name, nothing changes nor does it stick.

Thoughts?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Enforce Mobile Name sends a command to change the device name. The user can change it still, but on the next Update Inventory the name will be set back. Eventually they will tire of changing it.

chris

MZKS
New Contributor

i have the same problem as smurphyusd346. We have Casper 9.82 installed and iPads with DEP enrolled on it. After i sent a wipe command, the ipads comes up with the std. name "ipad". Enforce iPad Name and other solutions wont work. All the other information like asset tag are still correct. So in my opinion and the logs tell me, that the server dont send the "set device name command" after wipe. Any solution ?

jamfmdm
New Contributor

Hi All,

We are having this same issue, the only solution for this is you need to create a new prestage then copy all the device name from your old prestage then scope again all the device you want. Or you can try is on your Old prestage just cut the device name then save it after that you edit again the device name and copy all the device name again. that's what the jamf support gave me.

I'm not sure why they are not fixing this issue i know that kind of solution that they gave me is very long process. but it works!