Error: This is not a product archive, parsing component packages is not yet supported

COAH-ITsupport
New Contributor

Hello,

I am attempting to upload two different .pkg files into Jamf School for distribution to the macOS devices in my environment.

While uploading the packages i am receiving the following error "Error: This is not a product archive, parsing component packages is not yet supported" I have tried different version of the file and I also used pkgbuild to build a .pkg from a .dmg mount.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JustinN
New Contributor III

I tried this with with Notebook 23 and it's not pretty. The uninstaller doesn't work and the app even fails to start claiming an issue with MacOS version (I couldn't tell if it a MacOS message or Smart).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MasterNovice
Contributor

I'd just like more clarity on what it is that causes the issue here. We have so many apps that are not published by the store, or have multiple pkgs and plug ins and are not just a single flat .app file. It feels like every single one of them requires custom configuration and sometimes scripting solutions to deploy. This requires additional skill set and familiarity (which is fine, but not sold with the initial Jamf solution) with the MacOS that at least our operation does not have. Even with a more in depth understanding there, workaround and cobbled deployment solutions that work one release don't the next, and there's significant troubleshooting required to figure out why, then cobble a new deployment package. Frustrating. Instead of dragging and dropping a file that would take a single click to install if on the client, I'm researching XAR, trying to determine how to read the TOC in an archive, validate that information looks the way it should... what is it that Jamf wants from the upload that's missing or not configured, and how does running it through a Composer snap or Packages resolve that?

For what it's worth, if you are using School, the following KB should provide additional information on the Packages open source tool and the Composer tool to repackage packages that won't upload in Jamf. https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-school/deploy-guide-docs/Building_Packages.html

JustinN
New Contributor III

I tried this with with Notebook 23 and it's not pretty. The uninstaller doesn't work and the app even fails to start claiming an issue with MacOS version (I couldn't tell if it a MacOS message or Smart).