Execute (Dockutil) Script When User Logs In Post Imaging

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Scraping from some scripts here on Jamf Nation I have a small script attached to a policy that executes at login and sets the dock using dockutil. I want it to execute at login so it adds the user's Documents folder to the dock:

echo "Adding Documents..."; /usr/local/bin/dockutil --add '~/Documents' --no-restart --position 11 "$LoggedInUserHome"

This works perfectly in testing with the policy but I'd love to have this run at login only after a computer is newly imaged. I can't add it to my first boot script because it won't set the Documents folder, not knowing what $LoggedInUserHome is.

Wonder if anyone has any thought on how to accomplish? I'm almost ready to just have our Team run this from Self Service, post login and post imaging, but reaching out to Jamf Nation first!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

@TomDay If you drop bread crumb on the machine during imaging (dummy receipt or file) you can create a smart group for that condition. Then create a dock policy that executes at login once per user per computer scoped to that group.

With this approach though, you might need to delay the dock script a little bit to allow the default preference to get written first. I add a sleep 30 at the beginning of mine. YMMV

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Someone once shared a LaunchAgent and script that set the dock for each user as they logged in. It had logic that it would not run the dockutil if they logged in again by referencing text file. It was cool... and of course, now I can't find it but I sure could use it too.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@TomDay

i do exactly this with the full dock after the computer is imaged with dockutil and outset. script for dock is installed at at reboot.

marklamont
Contributor III

can't you use it in a jamf policy, trigger on login and run once per user per computer?

apizz
Valued Contributor

@TomDay we use outset to run a number of scripts when a user signs in for the first time.

Basically you would copy your script into the desired outset folder, in your case /usr/local/outset/login-once (which will run the script as the user), and when a user logs in outset runs any and all scripts in the login-once folder for the user.

I've had some weirdness with some policies not kicking off for user when they login, so I use outset to take jamf out of the equation. At least on a few configuration things that I only want to have happen once.

TomDay

@marklamont I am using in a jamf policy, triggered at login, in my testing with one device and it works fine. The problem is I don't want this to roll out to all my current devices and blow out the current dock that my suers have customized. I just want this to run on a freshly imaged machine for incoming students and employees.

@aporlebeke @LSinNY Thx for tip the tip on outset, I'll check it out.

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

@TomDay If you drop bread crumb on the machine during imaging (dummy receipt or file) you can create a smart group for that condition. Then create a dock policy that executes at login once per user per computer scoped to that group.

With this approach though, you might need to delay the dock script a little bit to allow the default preference to get written first. I add a sleep 30 at the beginning of mine. YMMV

marklamont
Contributor III

@dpertschi I would have said that as well, or else use a smart group scoped to enrolled in last day which would also do the job if you don't want to go for an EA

perrycj
Contributor III

@TomDay As others have said, there are a few ways to do this. I use a LaunchAgent which is only set to run once (first time they log in) and then never again. I also put a delay on the dockutil script as @dpertschi mentioned. Here is the LaunchAgent I use:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Label</key>
    <string>com.company.dock</string>
    <key>LaunchOnlyOnce</key>
    <true/>
    <key>ProgramArguments</key>
    <array>
        <string>sh</string>
        <string>/path/to/script/dockutil.sh</string>
    </array>
    <key>RunAtLoad</key>
    <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

Hopefully this helps.

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@perrycj outset creates the LauchAgent on install that points to the folder where you load your scripts, One and done. After install put your script in the folder with the corresponding frequency: login-once,every,once-with-priviledges,every-with-priviledges, etc. No need to create an Agent for every script

perrycj
Contributor III

Sure, lots of different ways to do different things. As I stated in my post, just offering another solution and what works for me.

bentoms

Why not add a script for dockutil to the imaging process that amends all the docks via -allHomes ?

Then it's a oneshot for imaged machines.

TomDay

Dropping a dummy file or a smart group based on enrollment are great ideas thank you @dpertschi @marklamont , putting those ideas on hold for a few minutes! @bentoms I think using it in the imaging process might be easiest and I just won't worry about the Documents folder. Quick test, dockutil gets installed properly during imaging but the script doesn't work, not sure if the timing it correct on it? Currently set for "at reboot". After the reboot and I login, not seeing the new dock, I run a test command adding 1 item to the dock and it works correctly, so I know dockutil is installed.

#!/bin/sh

configureDefaultDock() {

if [ -e /usr/local/bin/dockutil ];
then
   dockutilVersion=`/usr/local/bin/dockutil --version --version`; echo "dockutil version: $dockutilVersion"

echo "Clearing Dock..."; /usr/local/bin/dockutil --remove all --allhomes

echo "Adding Launchpad..."; /usr/local/bin/dockutil --add '/Applications/Launchpad.app' --position 1 --allhomes
echo "Adding Self Service..."; /usr/local/bin/dockutil --add '/Applications/Self Service.app' --position 2 --allhomes
echo "Adding Google Chrome..."; /usr/local/bin/dockutil --add '/Applications/Google Chrome.app' --position 3 --allhomes
echo "Adding Safari..."; /usr/local/bin/dockutil --add '/Applications/Safari.app' --position 4 --allhomes

else
   echo "dockutil not installed, skipping initial dock setup..."
fi

}

exit 0

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Verify the order things are taking place during imaging. Verify the account is getting created prior to running the Dockutil script.

TomDay

Got this completed, many thanks to Everyone that jumped in to help.

1. Placed a line in my First Boot script that created a file /Users/Shared/NewlyImaged
  2. Create EA (see below)
  3. Create smart group based on having the EA set to "yes"
  4. Create a policy with the login trigger, runs once per computer that runs the dockutil script and then deletes the NewlyImaged file. .
#!/bin/sh
if [ -f /Users/Shared/NewlyImaged ]
then 
  echo "<result>Yes</result>"
else
  echo "<result>No</result>"
fi