Exempt Users for Restricted Software

djf3188
New Contributor

Hi everyone. I have Terminal set up as restricted software and JSS is doing a great job killing the process like I want; however, I've added both the short name and long name of a local account to the Exempt Users for this software, and it continues to kill the process when that user is running Terminal. I've rebooted the client machine a few times after making the change and still no dice.

Help! :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

nextyoyoma
Contributor

What does /var/log/jamf.log say? It should have a note saying "Found restricted process." If user is exempt, it should say so. I know that if the jamf process cannot connect to the JSS right away, it falls back on cached policies. Normally I would say to try "sudo jamf manage" (which I think would cause to it update policies) at the command line, but since you can't run terminal...

A workaround might be to write an applescript that says something like:

do shell script "jamf manage" with administrator privileges

Not too sure about the syntax, but I think that would work.

If that doesn't work, try replacing "jamf manage" with "jamf flushCaches"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

nextyoyoma
Contributor

What does /var/log/jamf.log say? It should have a note saying "Found restricted process." If user is exempt, it should say so. I know that if the jamf process cannot connect to the JSS right away, it falls back on cached policies. Normally I would say to try "sudo jamf manage" (which I think would cause to it update policies) at the command line, but since you can't run terminal...

A workaround might be to write an applescript that says something like:

do shell script "jamf manage" with administrator privileges

Not too sure about the syntax, but I think that would work.

If that doesn't work, try replacing "jamf manage" with "jamf flushCaches"

djf3188
New Contributor

Ah, now it's behaving itself. We're a new customer just starting to implement it so there's a bit of a learning curve here :) Thanks!!