Extension Attribute for mobile devices used as payload variables

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for a way to deploy private preshared keys for WiFi to a large number of iOS Devices.

I was thinking of creating an extension attribute for mobile devices to store this individual PPSK. I was thinking of going to
Settings -> Mobile Device Management -> Extension Attributes and create a new one with Data Type String. In this Attribute I could then store the PPSK.
Now I was hoping to deploy a configuration profile to my devices with a WiFi payload that uses this Extension Attribute as the password to the WiFi.

The Admin Guide says:
LDAP Attribute Mapping—This populates the extension attribute with the value for an LDAP ‚‚
attribute. It also generates a variable that can be used to populate configuration profile settings with values for the LDAP attribute. The variable is $EXTENSIONATTRIBUTE_<#>, where <#> is the extension attribute ID. For more information on payload variables for configuration profiles, see iOS Configuration Profiles.

Can this only be done using an LDAP Server? As I don't have an LDAP Server (only shared devices, no users) this would be a bad thing for me.

3 REPLIES 3

TomK
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hello Andreas.

Indeed you need a directory, or you can use the available fields (position, phone,...) within users to have a customisable field to store your PPSK.

HTH
Tom.

Andreas_Schenk
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification, Tom.
As repurposing existing fields like position or phone for the key is a workaround, I seem we can do it, but that hack is so 90s that I should probably file a feature request on it.

murph
New Contributor III

@Andreas_Schenk Were you able to deploy the private preshared key?