Finding non registered Macs

Vitamin-Z
New Contributor

We have some Macs on the network that are registered in Casper. Others were purchased by VIPs for their employees as a perk and haven't been registered. Is there a way to scan a network to find out what MACs belong to Macs? Has anyone had a project like this? What would be the best way aside from emailing a whole company asking to "come out"?

9 REPLIES 9

Knighton
New Contributor III

If your machines are all on a specific network segment, you could auto-enroll all non enrolled machines on that segment.

scottb
Honored Contributor

I did what @Knighton said and my Network team hit me like a ton of bricks. It works, but they didn't like the activity as it looked like a "virus" or something else malicious to them. Might not be an issue where you are, just a point to consider...

Aziz
Valued Contributor

I used ARD to ping most of our VLAN's. Gave a week notice to our Network team.

Vitamin-Z
New Contributor

@Knighton That's interesting. I don't think that's going to fly here but how would that work? Right now we are getting a list of all the MACs that hit wireless and we have to filter out all of the iPhones in AirWatch and Macs in Casper but it's not a very efficient process.

Vitamin-Z
New Contributor

@Abdiaziz ARD?

Vitamin-Z
New Contributor

@Abdiaziz ARD?

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@Vitamin-Z Apple Remote Desktop

Vitamin-Z
New Contributor

@Abdiaziz It looks like the ARD app is going for $80 on iTunes. It's not much if it helps our issue. How would it scan and distinguish what MAC belongs to what machine?

Aziz
Valued Contributor

@Vitamin-Z

Recon would probably be a better option for you.

ARD distinguishes between PC and Mac, PC is black and Mac is blue.