Firefox ESR Config

anverhousseini
Contributor II

Hi

Im trying to create a deployable configuration for Firefox ESR. So far so good but I cannot suppress the "Import settings from another browser" dialog. What I tried so far:

pref("profile.confirm_automigration", true);
pref("profile.migration_behavior", 0);
pref("profile.migration_directory", "");
pref("network.cookie.prefsMigrated", true);
pref("profile.allow_automigration", true);

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jrippy
Contributor II

@anverhousseini Sure. Looking back at my notes, here's where the files and folders go.
Put browser/* in Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/browser/
Put cck2/ in Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/
Put cck2.config in Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/
Put defaults/pref/autoconfig.js in Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref/

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrippy
Contributor II

Hey @anverhousseini

Unfortunately I have no experience modifying the ESR directly, but we use CCK2 for our customization. You can find it here: https://mike.kaply.com/cck2/
It should modify everything you need, then it spits out an autoconfig that you bake into Firefox.
Mike Kaply offers paid support for it if need be but the tool itself is completely free.
In fact, he was so good at it that he was hired by Mozilla.

anverhousseini
Contributor II

Hi @jrippy

Thanks! Yes I tried that, but it seems it doesn't work anymore with version 45. I tried it myself but Firefox is crashing all the time. Can you confirm this?

jrippy
Contributor II

@anverhousseini No I can't confirm that. We're running 45.3.0 ESR in our labs without issue.
We don't do a lot with CCK2 but we do skip all the initial prompts and bookmark stuff, etc.

anverhousseini
Contributor II

@jrippy it could be, that I misplaced the files. Could you please give a hint where to place following files/folders from the autoconfig folder?

• browser
  • cck2
  • defaults

Thanks!

jrippy
Contributor II

@anverhousseini Sure. Looking back at my notes, here's where the files and folders go.
Put browser/* in Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/browser/
Put cck2/ in Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/
Put cck2.config in Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/
Put defaults/pref/autoconfig.js in Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref/

anverhousseini
Contributor II

@jrippy Thanks, now it works!