Flush System/User Caches

dpertschi
Valued Contributor

I'm beginning to develop Self Service for a client and am wondering if anyone is finding the Flush System/User Caches at all useful?

Or, is this in the same category as Repair Permissions, once in a while helpful but mostly not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SeanA
Contributor III

In addition, check out Don Montalvo's excellent answer about flushing system/user cache in https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6151. In his answer, Don also provides a link to an Apple Developer page and another JAMF Nation thread that you may find useful.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

In a creative environment, flushing the caches (which includes the font cache) can be incredibly useful, particularly if they are having display anomalies (i.e. wrong fonts showing up). But otherwise, only if specifically having issues (a universal "Fix Everything" button to do this and restart ;-)

SeanA
Contributor III

In addition, check out Don Montalvo's excellent answer about flushing system/user cache in https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6151. In his answer, Don also provides a link to an Apple Developer page and another JAMF Nation thread that you may find useful.

dcain
New Contributor

Also, Where are the user and system cache's that are being flushed? I would like to see if the process is running properly.

casey_wayne
New Contributor

Hi -

I suppose I haven't done a policy validation on this, but Cache files are all in their respective Library domains.

The System Cache files are in /System/Library/Cache, the Computer ones are in /Library/Cache and the user ones are in /Users/<username>/Library/Cache

I, for one, am still digesting Don's post (see link above) and the links in those posts. But, I would stress a few points: 1) always reboot after cache files are deleted, especially the Font cache files. I tried the other methods and they mostly worked. What a mess...
2) The "repair permissions" tool utilizes the Apple repair permissions function(s?). I found that I could make one that was better because it dealt with some of the custom requirements and could venture outside the realm of the "installed apps." But be careful and test, test, test. You can also get yourself in some trouble. I know, I did... ;-)

mike_paul
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hello All, I just wanted to check in here to see if you are still leveraging the use of Flushing User and/or System Caches on more modern operating systems? We're currently evaluating the usefulness of these functionalities and your feedback would help up us.

Thanks
Mike Paul
Jamf Pro Product Manager

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

@mike_paul I use the System/user cache flush all the time! It fixes a TON of issues users may have with their Macs. My only wish is that I could flush them without restarting the computer.