Fusion Drive iMac Recovery HD

bazcurtis
New Contributor III

Hi,

We have made and successful deployed Recovery HD on other machines, but when we try and do the same thing on a 27" iMac with a Fusion Drive we get the Apple logo and after a while the no entry sign. If I install the Recovery HD from a "standard" Mac (wrong Recovery HD) it will go no entry straight away, so the real one would seem to be slightly better. What have we missed.

Best wishes

Michael

5 REPLIES 5

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I could be wrong but I think this issue is solved in 10.8.3. Partitions on Fusion Drives can make them act funny.
Here is the apple support article about it:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

bazcurtis
New Contributor III

Hi Gabe,

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what this is trying to tell me. Are you saying upgrade the main OS to 10.8.3 and this upgrades the recovery partition?

Cheers

Michael

hkim
Contributor II

I would use this tool to create a 10.8.3 Recovery HD on a computer that's running 10.8.3

http://managingosx.wordpress.com/2012/08/15/creating-recovery-partitions/

The way I'm going to start imaging machines now is to just lay down 10.8.3, and then at the end, tell the computer to make the Recovery HD, not make separate partitions in Casper Imaging since I has having issues with it laying down Recovery HD consistently.

bazcurtis
New Contributor III

Hi Hkim,

I couldn't find a tool to make the Recovery HD like Apple released for Lion. How are you going to make the Recovery HD? Can this be automated in Casper?

Best wishes

Michael

hkim
Contributor II

You can still download it, it's listed in the link I put up. Please follow those instructions to create the pkg that will lay down a Recovery HD on the computer. Make sure you have the latest download from the App Store for Install OS X Mountain Lion.app (which should be 12D78 10.8.3), and grab dmtest from the Lion recovery.