FV2 smart group results

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I am confused on why i am receiving different results when I create a smart group to tell me how many computers are encrypted. Here is my criteria and results on 2 test smart groups

file vault 2 status IS Boot Partitions Encrypted = 46

File vault 2 Encryption State IS Encrypted = 56

56 is the correct answer, but not sure why I get 46 for the results for one of the smart groups.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Its because there are 10 Macs that are listed as "All Partitions Encrypted" instead of just "Boot Partitions Encrypted"
I won't get into explaining the difference between these states at the moment. Suffice to say that you should either just use your 2nd Smart Group, or add an additional criteria line to the first Smart Group of "File vault 2 Status | IS | Boot Partitions Encrypted", or... use an Extension Attribute to capture the FileVault status the way some of us are doing.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Its because there are 10 Macs that are listed as "All Partitions Encrypted" instead of just "Boot Partitions Encrypted"
I won't get into explaining the difference between these states at the moment. Suffice to say that you should either just use your 2nd Smart Group, or add an additional criteria line to the first Smart Group of "File vault 2 Status | IS | Boot Partitions Encrypted", or... use an Extension Attribute to capture the FileVault status the way some of us are doing.