FYI: MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues

kilodelta
New Contributor III

Apple has announced a repair extension program for several models of MacBook Pro made from 2011-Early 2013.
Details at http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/ - if you have an affected Mac that fails due to video problems, Apple will cover the repair even if the Mac is out of Warranty.

Affected Models:

• MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)
8 REPLIES 8

mdonovan
New Contributor III

Good for them!

gskibum
Contributor III

Cool for them. This happened to one of my Retinas last spring. All the symptoms described in the link for several months, then a grand finale of logic board failure.

I had about 5 days left on the warranty.

kilodelta
New Contributor III

We've been seeing it about once a month on the affected model families we have in circulation here - which happens to be most of our fleet. Apple Care has always covered it, thankfully, but it's good to see an issue openly acknowledged with a fix proffered, no strings attached. You don't see that terribly often, anymore.

elliotjordan
Contributor III

FYI: Looks like this works well for collecting the eligible Macs into a smart group:

Model Identifier [is] MacBookPro8,2
[or] Model Identifier [is] MacBookPro8,3
[or] Model Identifier [is] MacBookPro10,1

Not applicable

@elliotjordan

Don't forget MacbookPro9,2 (My current laptop at home)

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately, @Abdiaziz, your 13" MBP is not covered, which is why MacbookPro9,2 is not included.

Not applicable

@msblake][/url, Am I reading this wrong? isn't MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012) the MBP9,2?

edit: Ignore me, Retina-equipped MacBook Pros manufactured from mid-2012 to mid 2013

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

@Abdiaziz That model identifier refers to the 13" Pros, which aren't affected.