Get Custom Icon to show in AppleScript Dialog Box

jrogersnh
New Contributor III

Hey All - 

I'm trying to get the icon that we utilize for our Self Service portal (located at /Library/Application Support/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac/Documents/Images) to display when calling a custom "Display Dialog" AppleScript popup from within a Bash script.

Current code looks like:

#!/bin/bash

#get logged in user info
loggedInUser=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }'`
loggedInUserUID=$(id -u "$loggedInUser")

userPopup="set input to \
(display dialog \
\"blah blah blah\" \
with title \"xxxxxx\" \
with icon POSIX file \"/Library/Application Support/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac/Documents/Images/brandingimage_asTest.icns\")"

prompt=$( /bin/launchctl asuser $loggedInUserUID sudo -u "$loggedInUser" /usr/bin/osascript -e "$userPopup" )

which errors out with this:

execution error: Can’t make file "Macintosh HD:Library:Application Support:com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac:Documents:Images:brandingimage_asTest.icns" into type number or string. (-1700)

However, if I copy the same file to the Desktop and run this code snippet, it works perfectly:

#!/bin/bash

#get logged in user info
loggedInUser=`/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }'`
loggedInUserUID=$(id -u "$loggedInUser")

userPopup="set input to \
(display dialog \
\"blah blah blah\" \
with title \"xxxxxx\" \
with icon POSIX file \"/Users/<username>/Desktop/brandingimage_asTest.icns\")"

prompt=$( /bin/launchctl asuser $loggedInUserUID sudo -u "$loggedInUser" /usr/bin/osascript -e "$userPopup" )

I should also mention I have tried both methods without specifying POSIX file and utilizing normal AppleScript method and the same behavior occurs.

Does anyone know a way to make this work while utilizing a non-user filepath? Or is this just a pitfall of using apple script?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, the end results of that path is a mix of POSIX and non-POSIX, which won't work. AppleScript doesn't understand UNIX pathing, so we probably need to convert the tilde to a path and then concatenate it and the rest of the path.

set homePath to do shell script "echo $HOME"

-- e.g. "/Users/talkingmoose"

display dialog "blah blah blah" with title "Blah Title" with icon POSIX file (homePath & "/Library/Application Support/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac/Documents/Images/brandingimage.png" as string)

-- e.g. "/Users/talkingmoose/Library/Application Support/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac/Documents/Images/brandingimage.png"

See if that gets you what you need.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

talkingmoose

See if this snippet helps. Replace my path with yours.

#!/bin/bash

theCommand='display dialog "blah blah blah" with title "Blah Title" with icon posix file "/Applications/Self Service.app/Contents/Resources/AppIcon.icns"'

/usr/bin/osascript -e "$theCommand"

This is a great way to cleanly spell out the entire one-line AppleScript command without having to escape so many quotes.

Thanks for the reply! Definitely cleaner than mine, so I appreciate that. 

This works, however, that AppIcon.icns file is the generic Jamf logo for Self-Service. I'm looking to apply our custom self service icon, which to my knowledge is only found in "/Library/Application Support/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac/Documents/Images". Is there another area within the /Applications/Self Service.app/Contents directory that the custom icon might live?

Thank you!

If you navigate to the directory you mention, do you actually see it there? The custom branding images should live in the end user's home folder "~/Library/Application Support/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac/Documents/Images/brandingimage.png" not the top level Library folder.

Yes, I see the custom company icon in both areas - both the public /Library/Application Support/ filepath as well as the user ~/Library/application support folder. I'm getting a specific apple script error using these paths:

execution error: Can’t make file ":~:Library:Application Support:com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac:Documents:Images:brandingimage_asTest.icns" into type number or string. (-1700)

So, the end results of that path is a mix of POSIX and non-POSIX, which won't work. AppleScript doesn't understand UNIX pathing, so we probably need to convert the tilde to a path and then concatenate it and the rest of the path.

set homePath to do shell script "echo $HOME"

-- e.g. "/Users/talkingmoose"

display dialog "blah blah blah" with title "Blah Title" with icon POSIX file (homePath & "/Library/Application Support/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac/Documents/Images/brandingimage.png" as string)

-- e.g. "/Users/talkingmoose/Library/Application Support/com.jamfsoftware.selfservice.mac/Documents/Images/brandingimage.png"

See if that gets you what you need.

This worked! What a champion - thank you so much for the help.