Global HTTP proxy requesting re-authentication

freddie_cox
Contributor III

All,

We have been testing using the Global HTTP Proxy with the Squid proxy. Our test with iOS 8 seemed to go well until iOS 9 was released.

What we discovered is following the 8>9 upgrade (and now the 9 > 9.0.3 upgrade), the proxy settings would constantly ask for re-authentication, even though the authentication was being provided by the Configuration Profile pushed through Casper.

As you can see below, the settings are very basic.

3fcfbf0a3bc6451da0b01264861ec6b3
4e2b36f5e5d64b0c81085c42fd083a9a

But following the upgrade we get this message on any page that isn't configured to bypass the proxy:

43b73424d14d4933ad576d3a15291a3a

We have the following completely bypass the proxy: Casper Server and all of Apple (including APNS ports). I maintain MDM/APNS connections when this issue happens, so I can perform actions on the device.

To resolve, I can remove the device from the scope, watch it remove, and re-apply the same configuration profile and everything works (until the next upgrade).

I can also manually type in the credentials and it begins authenticating again. But that isn't an ideal solution either as we would prefer to not distribute that information any further than necessary.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue specifically or ideas where we can look to resolve this? I don't want to have to create a new Smart Group and Configuration profile for each OS Upgrade on 2,000 iPads just to keep proxy authentication working.

6 REPLIES 6

jbuk
New Contributor

Did you resolve this? As we're also having the issue with re-authentication prompts on iOS 9 devices.

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

Looks like this is still an issue in iOS 10/11..

Having quite some frustration with getting the proxy to authenticate using a profile.

alevinsteindps
New Contributor II

Same exact issue here. @Simmo , any update on your end?
Thanks!

freddie_cox
Contributor III

Unfortunately we just gave up on the saved password field and distributed username/password info and utilized a PAC file.

alevinsteindps
New Contributor II

We are trying that with the same result. Users continue to be prompted with "Proxy Authentication Required." Initially the iPad appears to accept the credentials, but eventually prompts again.

rol801
New Contributor

That's too Bad in iOS. We just configured Squid and deploy Proxy to DEP devices. It keeps prompting again and again