Gmetrix Adobe Plugins Capture (Solved)

axel-ocps
New Contributor II

Hello!

I have successfully packaged, deployed, and tested the GMetrix plugins for Adobe CC 2021. This works for both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs.

Using Composer:

1. Download the GMetrixSMSe.app from their website 
  2. Open composer and create/start capturing a new package deployment
  3. Place the App in /Applications
  4. Opened the App and Login
  5. Open the settings pane and click on the Plugins Pane
  6. Go through every Adobe App installation procedure
  7. Create the package source in Composer

Once Composer is finished, here are the Directories needed:

• /Applications/GMetrixSMSe.app
  • /Library/Application\ Support/GMetrix

• /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/gmetrix.lita.adobe.aftereffects

• /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/gmetrix.lita.adobe.animate

• /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/gmetrix.lita.adobe.dreamweaver

• /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/gmetrix.lita.adobe.illustrator

• /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/gmetrix.lita.adobe.indesign

• /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/gmetrix.lita.adobe.photoshop

• /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/gmetrix.lita.adobe.premierepro

• /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions/GMetrixTemplates

No user specific directories are need.

I suggest setting the permissions of the following Directories to 777 and apply those permissions to all enclosed items:

• /Applications/GMetrixSMSe.app
  • /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/
  • /Library/Application\ Support/GMetrix

Shout out to the Apple SE team for helping out!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

6 REPLIES 6

Jimmy1
New Contributor

Hey there. Thank you for sharing. I have followed the directions in Composer (or so I think), but when testing the newly created .pkg, it indicates the package is not compatible with the MacOS. This is kind of odd because I'm trying to run it on the same device from where it was created. I also tried deploying this through Jamf, but it also errored out with no specific code. 

Any help is appreciated. 

axel-ocps
New Contributor II

Hello,

My apologies, I do not frequent these forums very often so I am just now seeing this.

What version of macOS are you running this under?

Jimmy1
New Contributor

Hey, np. We are running Big Sur on M1 Macs. I've also tried capturing a DMG, but it doesn't seem to retain all of the file permissions. 
Thanks. 

axel-ocps
New Contributor II

I have been creating these PKGs on Catalina, Big Sur, and Monterey without issue so this is a weird one. Maybe set the file permissions after the installation with a script?

chmod -R 777 /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CEP/extensions

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Out of curiosity, are you working with Intel or M1 chips? 

Thanks for all of the help. 

whiteb
Contributor II

Thank you for posting this. I'd tried a few different things and had got it working sort of a hacky way, but that solution didn't scale well.

One thing though, I did your steps exactly, and Composer would get stuck at the building .pkg part. After troubleshooting, I found this is because you need this option selected:

gmetrix_composer copy.png

Once I changed that, it built right away. Tested on a few lab computers, seems to be working well.

Pretty sure GMetrix needs to re-write their App/plug-in to be M1 compatible.

Also, I'm not sure if you ran into this, but the plug-in won't show up or load in Photoshop unless you check the 'Open using Rosetta' check-box for Photoshop.app (seemed to be the case for 2021 and 2022). I found this Python script that will check that box for the logged-in user that worked for 2021, but doesn't work with 2022 for some reason.

So for Photoshop 2022, I just gave the teacher screenshots on how to check that box, and that it's required. I believe we push universal builds of Photoshop, not sure if it makes a difference there.