Going back from Lion 10.7 to Snow Leopard 10.6

Not applicable

We are pushing through an order for 40 Mac Pro's and Mac Book Pro's so we can get them before the new OS. We are not ready as a company to test and implement Lion just yet. Do anyone know how easy or hard it will be if you get a new Lion Mac say in a month or two and you want to go back to Snow Leopard? Will there be any firmware or hardware changes that will make it impossible?

Thanks

Neal

6 REPLIES 6

Not applicable

Apple history has shown that once they release a new OS and units begin shipping with it, it becomes very difficult to downgrade the OS.
Often its just not possible or if it is, then you have no support.

Order as many as you can now. Its just the way it is.

Nick Caro Senior Desktop Support Administrator

Not applicable

That’s what I thought. *sigh*

Not applicable

We are pushing through an order for 40 Mac Pro's and Mac Book Pro's so we can get them before the new OS. We are not ready as a company to test and implement Lion just yet. Do anyone know how easy or hard it will be if you get a new Lion Mac say in a month or two and you want to go back to Snow Leopard? Will there be any firmware or hardware changes that will make it impossible?
On Jun 17, 2011, at 8:27 AM, Neal Smith wrote:

Generally speaking you have until the hardware refreshes, so, about a month or two. The MBPs you're probably safe, the Mac Pros might be harder.

--Jim

talkingmoose

Adding to the other comments...
On 6/17/11 7:27 AM, "Neal Smith" <Neal.Smith at perrigo.com> wrote:

For that brief period between the new Mac OS release and the refresh of a
product line Apple has before put in "CPU drop-in" media. They basically
take current already-packaged inventory, which still has the prior OS
installed, and "drop in" the new version Mac OS disk. You have the option
to use either OS. This is more efficient for Apple to do this rather than
unpack and re-image.

--

William Smith
Technical Analyst
Merrill Communications LLC
(651) 632-1492

nessts
Valued Contributor II

unfortunately nobody but Apple knows that answer, I have heard that if you get your order in by the 22nd or 24th it is likely to be a snow leopard system.
I would guess that new hardware won't be released for a few more months, everything has updated pretty recently, but as my Apple team reminded me last night that product road maps are not shared and while there may be some trends nothing is constant or given with product releases.
if the current hardware remains the same, you have to legally own snow leopard license for the new hardware, which they will likely quit selling the day they release Lion, so buy your upgrade kits now, but if the hardware does not change you will likely be able to install 10.6 quite simply

--
Todd Ness
Technology Consultant/Non-Windows Services
Americas Regional Delivery Engineering
HP Enterprise Services

Bukira
Contributor

Generally AVOID this at ALL costs,

If the Mac is Built with 10.7 , (some macs may come with 10.7 but were built 10.6 but come with updater,) then there can be any number of changes, even those UNKNOWN,

I have tried this myself, taken an iMac which appears to have EXACTLY the same spec, as per the apple website and via phone and email with apple Tech, an earlier iMac and installed the old OS on the new Mac,

It booted and ran but there were little issues, like the camera LED light which never went off, and sleep issues,

So no matter what is said there could be any number of changes that are not publisihed between the newer 10.7 mac and the older ones.

It may not even boot the Kernal

Criss Myers
Senior IT Analyst (Mac Services)
iPhone / iPad Developer
Apple Certified Technical Coordinator v10.5
LIS Development
Software Management Team
Adelphi Building AB28
University of Central Lancashire
Preston PR1 2HE
Ex 5050
01772 895050