Google Drive on IOS devices suddendly requiring the device to have a passcode enabled.

msnowdon
Contributor

Recently one of our users noticed that iPads have been displaying the following message when you access google drive:

"Device Policy Alert
Domain k12.andoverma.us requires you to set a passcode on this device to access this account. Please set a passcode and try again."

It pops up several times after you hit "ok" although you cannot access or see any files inside google drive after you sign in. I noticed it for the first time this week although I have used the iPads as recently as a week or 2 ago and students could access google drive without this issue.

Anyone else come across this "feature"

6 REPLIES 6

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

It sounds like a policy setting in your G Suite domain settings.

msnowdon
Contributor

@cbrewer Sure enough, my network admin enabled mobile device management in our G Suite and enabled the password option.

bduffy
New Contributor

Just created an account here to thank @cbrewer -- this was driving me absolutely crazy today!

In my situation, there is absolutely no way that someone turned on the password option overnight (only two people have admin rights), yet turning it off solved the issue. What's mind boggling is that the setting was enabled for years and only became a problem today.

dmillertds
Contributor

Ditto to bduffy's comments. Suddenly had students and staff coming to me with iPads showing the "passcode" prompt. Thank whomever I found this post quickly and was able to turn it off! But there are only 3 Google admins in our domain, I know myself and another did not turn this on - checking with the 3rd, but 99% sure she did not either. Suspect some G Suite db update accidentally flipped this switch. In our case, I know it was not turned on prior to today, as I'm in it every day and see "0 Mobile Devices" on the dashboard - any other number sticks out like a sore thumb.

RLR
Valued Contributor

Just out of curiosity, why don't the iPads have passcodes already? Are they shared iPads?

rashmie
New Contributor

Hi, Kindly help me. I am getting the same error of device policy alert on my iphone6 esp for google hangouts. How do I switch off the password option. Pl guide with the process. Thank you.