It appears that TextExpander 5.0 has a new licensing format which does not work with the method mentioned here: https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=8069.
There's now an additional .license file installed in these two locations:
- /Library/Application Support/TextExpander/.license
I tried replacing these along with the plist mentioned in the other discussion but the software doesn't recognize the new data. It simply erases the information and reverts the files back to the unregistered state. I also tried running defaults read on the whole plist after I copied it just in case it was a caching issue but that doesn't help.
Anyone have any luck getting the new version deployed?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Here's the postinstall script I wrote to solve the problem:
#! /bin/bash for i in `dscl . list /Users | grep -v ^_.* | grep -Ev 'daemon|macports|nobody|root|Guest'` ; do sudo -u $i sh -c ' defaults write com.smileonmymac.textexpander ActivationCode "[YOUR LICENSE KEY HERE]" defaults write com.smileonmymac.textexpander ActivationName "[YOUR LICENSE NAME HERE]" defaults write com.smileonmymac.textexpander ActivationEmail "[YOUR E-MAIL HERE]" ' done
It's sort of overkill, but this will run the
defaults write commands as every user on the system EXCEPT the service accounts listed in the two
grep statements. If you just want to install it within the context of the users on the box. I haven't actually built a policy to deploy this yet, but the package finally works.
You might be able to get away with a
sudo -u $USER instead of the whole loop thing if you were only interested in the active user, but I suspect that might actually run in the context of the service account. I'm not totally sure, I'm very new to Casper (finished our Jumpstart TODAY) and I come from a Windows background.
NOW if I could just get the pesky SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MAILING LIST prompt to bug off...