High Sierra and 2017 MacBook Pro Time Issues

SPS_Seth
New Contributor

We just started deploying 10.13 (by force, the new 2017 MacBooks won't go lower) and started having issues where the time and date settings are greyed out. The original admin account created can change these settings, but other migrated admin accounts are greyed out. If we manually change the time (at the machine or remote), it reverts back to no time zone selected with the wrong time. It's not every device, just some. So far, local accounts are the only ones affected. Location services are active. We suspect it may be because we're running 9.101 and it doesn't fully support 10.13. Anyone else experienced this?

2 REPLIES 2

hulsebus
New Contributor III

Time and date setting are generally greyed out on my machines too, presumably because we have time configured to set automatically via ntp. I've noticed sometimes if a machine is off network for a while, the time will get off. Typically it's not by much and updates shortly after getting on network. It becomes a bigger issue for us because we're on AD accounts and if the system clock is >5 minutes off from the AD clock, logins will fail.

As a side note, one of our desktop techs was able to downgrade one of the 2017 macbooks with 10.13. I believe it involved starting the machine from a bootable 10.12 installer, deleting all partitions, restarting, erasing the disk, restarting, running the 10.12 installer. He said if he skipped any of the restarts (our typical process pre-10.13 wouldn't have any of the restarts), the process would fail. YMMV.

SPS_Seth
New Contributor

I've come up with a fix for the time settings, though I still don't know what caused it. I revoked admin rights from the accounts and then reinstated the rights. Problem fixed immediately. Something funky in the migration. We've had the same issues migrating AD accounts as everyone else, but this is the first with local accounts. We're planning on updating to jamf 10 next week and I'm curious if the issue will still be there. It may very well be an Apple issue. I can recreate the issue with one of the original computers/accounts, so I'm going to keep playing.

Thanks for the info on downgrading to 10.12. I'm going to give that a try. I don't have a problem with 10.13 really, but we have such a nice 10.12 image that is quick to deploy and hands off. Thanks again!