How are 'free' Apple (iWork's) Pages, Keynote, Numbers etc for iOs managed?

StirlingEastPS
New Contributor

I was wondering if someone could confirm or deny a 'wondering' (suspicion) I have. When I look at how are licences are being used up for the 'free' apps such as Keynote, Pages etc for our iPads, I note that a number of the licences are being absorbed by users with BYOiPads that are post 2013 machines. In other words, they should not require a licence from us, but should have the app available to them for free.

Is this happening because they did not download the apps in the first place and therefore a licence has redeemed to them from Casper/our VPP purchases? If so - this is a pain as we also have a number of devices we'd like to give the app to (that do not qualify for free downloads) but to do so, we would have to purchase more copies through VPP....which seems kinds of nuts to do when all these other 'newer' iPads are absorbing our licences when they could get them for free!

If my 'wondering' is correct......is there anyway I can get around this....pull the apps back and have the students download them to their own iPads via the 'free' way so that I can free up licences for other older iPads?

Hope this makes sense.....?
Chris

2 REPLIES 2

brj
New Contributor
New Contributor

Please see the following Apple links to convert these Apple Apps to VPP and then they can be deployed through Casper:-

iOS - https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202953

Mac - https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT203022

EvstersTech
New Contributor

It sounds like you have scoped the apps to their iPads.

What I did---
-create static group called "BYOD iPads"
-added the BYOD iPads into the static group
-Go to your Apps and select the appropriate iMovie, Garageband, Keynote etc.
-In the Scope - go to the exclude tab and exclude your static group "BYOD iPads"

This will reclaim your licenses for deployment elsewhere.

BYOD device owners simply go to the App store on their device and redeem the free apps if they have not already done so. Until you exclude the BYOD devices in your JSS scope for the apps, they will show the used license whether your users have or have not redeemed the apps already.