How do I run a report/policy/script with casper to see what websites students visit with Macs?

EliasG
Contributor

How do I run a report/policy/script with casper to see what websites students visit with Macs?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Uhm, the Casper Suite is not spyware, so has no facility to do this, and I'm pretty certain you'll never see it happen. See other threads on the legal ramifications of spying on users, wiretap laws and the like.
While you could potentially script something that would pull their browser history, if you really really need/want to do this, you're better off looking at getting some web filtering system onto your network to capture that.

View solution in original post

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

... That's certainly true. However, and more importantly, there isn't a component built into OS X to give that kind of data. For various reasons I also doubt that JAMF would be interested in creating this sort of software as it's outside their focus area. There are a number of other technologies for places where it's legal (in schools, at your own home, etc).

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Oddly enough, I have some help here using MCX that we can use, but I recommend using real-filtering technology. Using this mechanism involves using some of the crap that Apple's Parental Controls uses:

check out this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4672

I was able to use this for a while, but found that it really can fill data fast so unless you have some data pruning techniques, this may not be the best way to go...the article tells how to do it using OD, but this can be modified into Casper by using MCX and importing the plist and configuring it, but again, consider a real solution strongly as opposed to this.

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Uhm, the Casper Suite is not spyware, so has no facility to do this, and I'm pretty certain you'll never see it happen. See other threads on the legal ramifications of spying on users, wiretap laws and the like.
While you could potentially script something that would pull their browser history, if you really really need/want to do this, you're better off looking at getting some web filtering system onto your network to capture that.

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

... That's certainly true. However, and more importantly, there isn't a component built into OS X to give that kind of data. For various reasons I also doubt that JAMF would be interested in creating this sort of software as it's outside their focus area. There are a number of other technologies for places where it's legal (in schools, at your own home, etc).

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

Oddly enough, I have some help here using MCX that we can use, but I recommend using real-filtering technology. Using this mechanism involves using some of the crap that Apple's Parental Controls uses:

check out this article: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4672

I was able to use this for a while, but found that it really can fill data fast so unless you have some data pruning techniques, this may not be the best way to go...the article tells how to do it using OD, but this can be modified into Casper by using MCX and importing the plist and configuring it, but again, consider a real solution strongly as opposed to this.

EliasG
Contributor

Thanks everyone!