How do you prevent a user who moves between 2 buildings from losing their apps, profiles etc.?

catesr
Contributor

Hello. I work for a small school district. We only have the Elementary and Middle School buildings. One of our staff constantly goes between buildings. However when they do so they begin to lose apps etc. This is due to the different network ranges we have set up.

Same SSID name just different ranges. Any advice?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

how do you have the scoping setup for the apps? do any of these devices ever travel off campus(same effect)?

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I concur with @TheAngryYeti. Since you have apps & profiles scoped to building and the network ranges set to overwrite inventory for building info, this will happen. It may be time to reevaluate how items are scoped in your deployment.  Alternatively you could add anyone in this situation to a static group ("Floaters" perhaps?) and add that group to scope for any item where there is no overlap in scope between the two buildings.

TheAngryYeti
Contributor
Contributor

I would also just like to point out that using network segments is all good for profiles and such, but with apps, it can cause all sorts of issues, if someone decides to use a hotspot, all of a sudden Pro sends an uninstall command for apps.  I used to do scoping based on buildings - (scoped over to static and smart groups) from the device record and anyone that was a floater was listed as "district" so they ended up in a different grouping to prevent what you're experiencing.  take a step back and evaluate as @jcarr mentions, as always, if you need assistance feel free to reach out to success@jamf.com

catesr
Contributor

Hey Everyone, thanks for the very detailed replies. I really appreciate it. I will definitely go over my scoping method(s) when it comes to buildings. Also to set up a scope for this one individual.

Always appreciate the advice I get here. :)