How to Best Design a Global JSS rollout?

achand
New Contributor III

Hey JAMFNation First time poster, long time lurker. I have a question regarding a client that wants to roll out a JSS to multiple locations worldwide. For example, a sampling of the sites included for this rollout include the US, and the UK. Each site would have its own distribution point which would also act as an imaging server (with Netboot running). If a primary JSS is created in the US, does it make sense for clients in the UK to point to this JSS? Or would it make more sense for a new JSS to be brought up in the UK with the UK Clients pointing to the UK JSS? I would prefer the 2nd option, as its closest in proximity to the UK Clients. Is using the first option even feasible in this scenario? How would you best scale a deployment like this that would happen in multiple sites worldwide? Thanks for any suggestions.

8 REPLIES 8

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

I would suggest getting the "scaling the JSS" preso from the NUC. That has helped me greatly. If possible I would attend the CJA class as well. I'm moving to a load balanced internal JSS with a external web app for external client checkin and deployment. We have have 12 distribution points around the world that provide imaging and software distribution. I would keep your JSS is the US and just have a clustered JSS pointing at your US DB.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I wish the CJA was available outside Minni :(

If JAMF did it in Los Angeles I'd have a check for them in 10 minutes.

achand
New Contributor III

jhbush1973 Thanks for the reply. What is NUC? I really would like to check this presentation out. Is this something you can send me? I am also waiting for the CJA class to come to CA. I wish it was offered more. Thanks again.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

NUC=JAMF National User Conference held in Minneapolis. http://jamfsoftware.com/events/user-conferences/national-user-conference-2011/ I would ask your JAMF rep for it. It has some possibly sensitive information in it. The CJA class is great, a bit tough if you don't configure JSS's and MySQL a lot. Well worth the trip to JAMF HQ, everyone there is really nice.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@achand What's the existing infrastructure like? Can you leverage any of it?

Typical scenario is 1 central JSS, with Tomcat/DistributionPoint in other areas.

I would engage JAMF, they can analyze your environment and infrastructure and propose viable solutions.

When it comes to infrastructure, you'll want to get as much input and buy-in from the vendor (JAMF) as possible, as they're the folks who you're going to lean on for support once it's all built.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

achand
New Contributor III

Cool. I just sent an email to one of my JAMF contacts about the presentation. When you describe clustering, are you referring to making a clustered webapp (described in the admin guide)? E.g the UK Distribution Point could have an instance of the webapp running, would which would be pointing to the Master JSS DB in the US?

Also, are you doing any type of clustering for mysql for backups and redundancy, or just using the standard JSSBackupUtility? Thanks again.

achand
New Contributor III

Thanks Don. I am working with JAMF right now on a proper solution.

The existing Infrastructure is all Windows / AD Infrastructure. I believe each site has its own dedicated ESX Servers. The client will likely use Windows 2008 servers for the JSS and a Mac server for the distribution points and Netboot services.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Yep, we took the same Windows Server 2008 route, all virtualized. This way we are able to leverage the Datacenter staff to manage/support the server OS. They'll handle backups, restarting stopped services and patching. Patching is easy since they can always roll back the VM if something happens. They're even happy to discuss how the VMs were built, so they can help support (MySQL, Java, Tomcat, etc.). It's a win-win for everyone.

We are keeping a close eye on the NetBoot/SUS appliance JAMF graciously provided the community. Many of us were floored when that happend! Hoping at some point we'll see an installer for Windows hardware, so we can deploy to our depo imaging areas. :)

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=180

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com