How to create .pkg installers from Drag-and-drop installers?

Backoffice
New Contributor III

So, what is the best way of creating a pkg from the installers that are just drag and drop but dont contain actual pkg files?

Edit

I am asking as installing the package, and then capturing changes takes about 10 minutes on the machines I use to build, as they have so much other stuff on them

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Simple Package Creator and App Packager are what I use because they are a lot less overhead than Composer.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Taylor_Armstron
Valued Contributor

10 minutes doesn't sound bad...

But sounds like you're doing snapshots. If it is just a drag & drop, sounds like just drag it, drop it, then drag it into Composer to create the .pkg.

I personally dislike snapshots, but Composer works well enough.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

Simple Package Creator and App Packager are what I use because they are a lot less overhead than Composer.

How can I use AutoPkg or Simple Package Creator or App Packager to create a .pkg on a specific path like /usr/local/ ? This option is available in composer but I want to do it without composer using different tool 

Asnyder
Contributor III

Just drag the .app from applications into composer and then build as a .pkg. Just make sure to check permissions before building.

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I second using Composer by dragging the app (and any relevant associated files). I don't use Composer much for snapshots these days as I try to stay as close to the vendor package as possible, but Composer is great for giving me a fast GUI for building my own packages through drag-and-drop. Definitely second getting your permissions right though...one time I built 4-5 drag n drop packages quickly and wasn't paying attention to permissions...luckily I only hosed my test machine, but that could have been bad.

cgalik
Contributor

If it is just a file (or a series of files) being dropped somewhere (like /Applications), I usually use Packages. There are a ton of utilities to accomplish the same task, you just have to pick the one that you find easiest to work with.

Look
Valued Contributor III

Just out of interest, does anyone know a tool that takes a vendor DMG and makes a PKG, but still uses the supplied DMG to copy into Applications from?
Just curious as a number of Apps seem to need the source DMG verified during copying with Apples new security protocols, unless their is another way of dealing with this?
EDIT: I have currently been creating this manually using scripting in Composer, it's easy enough but an automatic tool could be nice.

app2pack
New Contributor II

This might help. Open terminal and run the below command. Copy the .app from .dmg to desktop first.

sudo pkgbuild --install-location /Applications --component ./Desktop/Firefox.app ./Desktop/Mozilla Firefox.pkg

--install-location : destination location where the .app should be installed.
--component: path to the source .app

How can I use AutoPkg or Simple Package Creator or App Packager to create a .pkg on a specific path like /usr/local/ ?
This option is available in composer but I want to do it without composer using different tool 

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

@Look take a look at the 2 apps I posted above. One of those does exactly that. :)

georgecm12
Contributor III

You also could consider looking into AutoPkg/AutoPkgr. Many apps distributed by the developer as drag and drop installers have AutoPkg recipes that will generate a pkg for you.

How can I use AutoPkg or Simple Package Creator or App Packager to create a .pkg on a specific path like /usr/local/ ?This option is available in composer but I want to do it without composer using different tool 

pooja_ash_vv
New Contributor II

How can I use AutoPkg or Simple Package Creator or App Packager to create a .pkg on a specific path like /usr/local/ ?
This option is available in composer but I want to do it without composer using different tool