How to handle app that self updates from server?

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

We switched VPN providers, and now the the server detects the version on of the client and tries to update it. This is fine and dandy, except that our users are not all admin rights - further if they are off the LAN then admin rights are stripped from those that do have it.

I know it's possible to update the client w/o admin rights as our AV client does it all the time. Any ideas on how to make the "Big IP" client behave the same way?

2 REPLIES 2

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

If there's a way to script the update mechanism (or trigger it manually from the command line), you could have Casper perform that as a policy. Those scripts would be run as root, which would not require authorization.

charliwest
Contributor II

Oh no, you just switched to BIG IP? Welcome to a world of pain! I hate the thing. From your VPN hardware you can download the newer version and add it to casper admin, then push it out to them, still not great if their off site and you don't support pushing apps to off site machines.

I think the admin part is needed for installing the plugin part specifically, that might be a starting point getting it working...