iBeacons with JSS

sadamson
New Contributor

As I mentioned in the meeting last night I would like to look at iBeacons for a few things (right now - sure there are many more ideas).

I would like to consider "fencing" the library to keep laptops assigned to the library IN the library. Possible solutions mentioned would be a JAMF Helper that puts a notice on the screen keeping people from working on the MacBook Air when not in range of the library iBeacons. Also thinking of having a specific Library SSID that if the laptop leaves the library the laptop cannot connect to any other SSIDs therefor making it unusable in other locations.

Another thought is we have about 10 laptop carts that get used throughout the day. I would like to put a beacon in each cart and institute a policy that forces checkin and update of a group (dashboard maybe) showing that the 20 laptops assigned to the cart are actually IN the cart. It would also be helpful to have a report showing what laptops are missing and if a laptop is connected in the wrong cart. Lastly it would be great to be able to see if they are charging in the cart (at the end of the school day).

The ideal would be at 5pm a report or dashboard would show all the locations, pie chart (maybe) showing that all laptops are in the proper location and if any are not plugged into power. It would also be nice to get an notification if laptop x is in cart y (so we can move it).

Generally and longer-term I was thinking it would be great to start looking at trends (from the check-in logs). How often are laptops removed from the cart, for how long, are there periods of time with >90% of the laptops are in use (do we need more).

Thanks for all the great suggestions and creative solutions
Scott

2 REPLIES 2

RaulSantos
Contributor

sadamson
New Contributor

Thank you Raul
Have a good day and look forward to sharing more experiences and opportunities with you and the group.
Scott