If I don't erase the drive 1st, casper imaging doesn't complete correctly.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I am seeing an issue where if I open disk utility and erase a machine (new 2015 macbook air) it images correctly. However if I let Casper Imaging do the erase then the machine doesn't call the jamf helper and then also doesn't run the postinstall.sh script (which means its just running the enroll.sh). In both cases I've deleted the computer from the JSS before imaging.

Ideas?
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools
5 REPLIES 5

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I've noticed this on 2014 rMBPs but the 2015 rMBPs work fine. I don't know what the difference would be, though. Ideally erasing the drive before imaging wouldn't be necessary… have you tried making an imaging configuration that excludes the OS and just installs the software and configures the OS?

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

What version of Casper Imaging are you using? The more recent versions know how to properly erase the drive that has core storage enabled.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Sounds like it could be the corrupt com.jamfsoftware.firstrun.postinstall.plist issue I have seen. Casper Imaging fails to run the postinstall.sh

Test: After the computer has "imaged", login in to the computer using the management account.

Then use finder to browse to the /Library/LaunchDaemons folder. See if you can open and view the com.jamfsoftware.firstrun.postinstall.plist file.

Next browse to the /Library/Application Support/JAMF/FirstRun/PostInstall/ folder. If postinstall.sh is still present, then it's a sign it has not run through all of the commands. The last command in that script is to delete itself and delete the associated LaunchDaemon. So either the postinstall script is not being called by the corrupt LaunchDaemon or there is an error taking place within the postinstall.sh.

One of recommendations I got from JAMF was to build a Netboot image on a MacBook Air instead of the MBP w/retina that I traditionally use to create Netboot images.

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I can't find any consistency with this issue so far. Sometimes it happens (even when I wipe the drive) and sometimes it doesn't.

@jhalvorson The image was created with a MacBook Air. The problem isn't that its not completing, it never starts the enroll or the postinstall scripts.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools