Imaging Older Model MacBooks(Mid 2009 - 2010 unibody) with 10.11.x Troubles

rcantrell
New Contributor II

First off, is anyone doing this?

Most of these machines, around 75% have 2GB of memory the rest have 4.

We would like these machine and the rest of fleet to move to 10.11 over the summer. However, these white unibody MacBooks are being very difficult. Initial testing has been very bad for us. Most of the time on post-install the machine will have no networking. Wireless nor Ethernet even show up under the networking preference pane. I can check this because we use a package that kills jamfHelper and runs Loginlog tailing jamf.log.

The few that do finish will come up to the login after finishing with no networking until I log in with one of the local accounts on the machine.

I also would like to add that we image everything with the same workflow and newer machines have no problem with this.

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

1 REPLY 1

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@rcantrell

In our testing anything with less than 4GB turned out to be trouble, this included the Unibody MacBooks as well as mid-2012 MacBook Pros.This only seemed to apply to El Cap as you have stated. Yosemite was fine. The quick and easy would be to upgrade the memory from what we have seen or dont upgrade past Yosemite

Larry