iMovie Update using softwareupdate?

musat
Contributor III

Hello, Is it possible to update iMovie and Garageband using the built-in softwareupdate tool? I've poked around a little bit, and it doesn't look like it. I just wanted to verify before I investigate the other methods.

Tim

4 REPLIES 4

SGill
Contributor III

They've been moved over to the Apple App Store now.

iMovie is self-contained, but GarageBand is multi-part. See other threads here for more on GB packaging:

GarageBand 10.1

Apple's preferred method of distribution is VPP.

joshuasee
Contributor III

Theoretically. The steps as I know them are:
1. Create a VPP or ASM account and configure it on the JSS
2. Visit the VPP fulfillment portal and file a request with paperwork for each new computer to reclaim the bundled licenses.
3. Add iMovie/Garageband in the JSS as a Mac App Store App, scope it to the computers you've reclaimed licenses for.
4. Possibly go through the insanity that is user VPP invitations.

The way to do it that will allow you to have a life:
1. Update iMovie/Garageband on a machine with MAS running in debug mode and copy the install package before it is deleted.
2. Add to the JSS, push it out in a policy.

The latter technique has the disadvantage that the app will keep prompting for updates even if it is up to date due to the lack of "adoption", i.e. having an Apple ID assigned to it, but it otherwise functions normally.

musat
Contributor III

Yeah, I've dealt with GarageBand before. No fun. I have pretty much tried to ignore the point updates to those apps, but it looks like some issue is creeping up. I'll probably look into getting these into VPP, mainly because of GB. That one is a hassle.

Thanks for confirming what I didn't really want to know. :)

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

I still have issues with macOS never actually pushing the scoped VPP apps. Now it seems the iOS pushes are better than the MacOS, how the tables have turned. Maybe Apple will start having the MacOS enrollments start including the APNS with mdm connections to Apple to engage better deployment.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools