Implementing and locking "Safe Search" in our student users browsers

kyoung
Contributor

We have had a few instances of students seeing inappropriate images when they do web searches. The Director wants us to turn on and lock the safe search feature in the major browsers so we don't have students looking at bad stuff. Anybody got any ideas on hew we can do this? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

techhelprhs
New Contributor III

Google recommends internal DNS cnames to force safesearch at the network level and Google Apps permissions to enable/disable safe search for Chrome at the organizational unit level. The method for doing this depends on what type of DNS servers you are running.

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/186669?hl=en

Basically, when a user searches google.com, DNS redirects them to forcesafesearch.google.com. If the user does not login with Google Apps permissions, they have no choice but to be in safesearch, regardless of the browser. If the user is a faculty member, and logged in to Google Apps via Chrome, they have the option to disable safesearch. If the user is a student, and logged in to Google Apps via Chrome, they are still forced to use safesearch.

We use similar techniques to force restricted YouTube. So, far, both are working very well.

Hope that helps,

-Chris

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

Just putting it out there, fully knowing that I'm most likely either preaching to the proverbial choir or to those inflexibly determined to do it anyway...

This is literally the textbook example of why one should not attempt to manage behavior with technology.

techhelprhs
New Contributor III

Hey @milesleacy , respectfully, I have to agree to disagree in this one particular instance.

In a k12 environment, our funding is directly affected by CIPA https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/childrens-internet-protection-act. If we were talking about subjectively blocking facebook or twitter, then, yes, as technology people, we should assert that arbitrarily blocking such avenues adversely effects a young person's learning experience in digital citizenship.

However, you and I are adults and I hope you can agree that the internet can be a dangerous place. If utilizing a company's compliance tool in an attempt to aide a 6 year old who types a benign word or phrase (in his/her mind) into Google, while learning how to use technology, results in a positive result and filters out the potential dangers, then my opinion is to make a new zone in DNS and allow the teacher to get on with the lesson...

As a father, my opinion is that it is a parent's responsibility is to ensure a child travels the narrow road in life and a teacher's mission to enforce it. As a network admin in a k12, It is my job's requirement to provide a safe and compliant environment that does not impede either...

Respectfully,

-Chris