In-House App not updating

maetzler
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I have an In-House iOS app that we built ourself and where we upload the IPA file to jamf pro and send it out to our iPads. For some iPads, the app does not get updated however if a new one arrives. 

It seems that jamf pro is fully aware that a device is not on the latest version, but none of the remote commands will force it to update. 

It lists the currently installed app as version 1.0.0 and the app in scope is version 1.0.2. But the app does not get updated. This does not happen on all devices. Some update without any issues. 

Is there anything I can do to force the updates? 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

ceh329
New Contributor II

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a fix?

maetzler
New Contributor II

I had a multi-week back and forth with jamf support. They were really helpful in digging into the issue. Unfortunately, it seems to be an apple/app permission issue. I have since done some more digging and also posted my issue here in the apple developer forums: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/731425

Unfortunately, I do not have a solution yet. I still have this issue where sometimes, on some devices, the apps don't update. 

ceh329
New Contributor II

Cool, thanks. Our instance is On-Prem. I did finally get it to work I will be trying it again shortly. I had to rename the .ipa file. I'm really thinking its a caching issue more than anything.

jasonh11
New Contributor III

Can confirm renaming worked for me as well. We use JAMF cloud and do very consistent updates to an in-house app but it never updated until I renamed the IPA and then uploaded it again.

Thanks!

ceh329
New Contributor II

Did you ever file a bug on this? I will be happy to open one as well and reference yours as well.

maetzler
New Contributor II

@ceh329: yes I opened a ticket with jamf and we had a long back and forth after which jamf said that it is a problem of how we built our app (most likely how we store some data in UserSettings). So there never came anything out of the jamf ticket. 

maetzler
New Contributor II

@jasonh11 Just to check: you have an app called `myapp.ipa` and in order to update it through jamf you call it `myapp-test1.ipa` and next time `myapp-test2.ipa` and that works? 

I'll try that as well during my next update. 

ceh329
New Contributor II

Yes, renaming the .ipa allows the app to install the latest version. So for my testing I have been renaming my app from MyApp.app to MyApp_1_0.ipa ... MyApp_1_1.ipa etc. and have not had any issues since. I will open a ticket on this as well.

jasonh11
New Contributor III

Yep, I just renamed it a generic file name and it started working as expected. In my case, our Mobile App Team's IPA file has built in version numbering, so regardless of what I rename it, I left the version name blank and when it uploads it fills in all that info for me automatically.