innodb settings!

Josman
New Contributor II

We have our JSSDB running in a VM that has 32GB of RAM and 32 processors.
I have set the innodb_buffer_pool_size to 10GB of memory, that created 8 innodb_buffer_pool_instances. We are a large school district with over 12K Macs and over 43K iPads.

What would be a good my.cnf config for such a super VM?

I'm relatively new to JAMF and innodb, please excuse my lack of information before asking this question.

4 REPLIES 4

m_donovan
Contributor III

Sounds like we are pretty similar I have 25K Macs and 13K iOS. Our DB is physical but is running 32GB ram on 16 cores. We have innodb_buffer_pool_size set to 25GB and innodb_buffer_pool_instances set to 4. But I am also running 6 child tomcat nodes behind a load balancer with a master node and an admin console node outside the load balancer. If you would like to compare notes send me an email at mike.donovan@killeenisd.org anytime.

Josman
New Contributor II

Mike,

Thank you for replying to my post, I have sent you a follow up email email.

To Mike/ anyone else in the forum, what would be a good number for innodb_read_io_threads and innodb_write_io_threads for a machine with such power.

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Running with innodb_buffer_pool_size at 24GB and instances set to 8 here. 5k Mac / 16k iOS. My database server is a VM with 16 cores and 32GB RAM.

Josman
New Contributor II

Thank you all for your input, we have set our variables as below
innodb_buffer_pool_size=24G innodb_flush_method=O_DIRECT innodb_log_file_size=256M innodb_read_io_threads=16 innodb_write_io_threads=8

We may need to revisit the write_io since looking at the DB monitor looks like we do more writes than reads as shown below
2408551 OS file reads, 3625011 OS file writes, 2406149 OS fsyncs
2.07 reads/s, 16384 avg bytes/read, 406.11 writes/s, 248.12 fsyncs/s

Once again, thanks for your input!