InstaDMG

kalikkalik
New Contributor

Anyone have issues incorporating QuickAdd packages into something like InstaDMG or System Image Utility?
For some reason it is the only package that does not install properly...and no detailed logs can tell why.

Thanks,
jeremy

9 REPLIES 9

milesleacy
Valued Contributor

I abandoned InstaDMG for several reasons, this being one of them. If you'd
care to see my findings and opinions, see
http://mailman.intermedia.net/pipermail/casper/2008-December/001482.html
An InstaDMG image is by it's nature a premature system. Several things
occur at first boot that make a system mature. Once those things have
occurred, such as initial naming of the computer, for example, it's a simple
matter to change them to fit your needs.

----------
Miles A. Leacy IV

? Certified System Administrator 10.4
? Certified Technical Coordinator 10.5
? Certified Trainer
Certified Casper Administrator
----------
voice: 1-347-277-7321
miles.leacy at themacadmin.com
www.themacadmin.com

kalikkalik
New Contributor

Interesting - we actually use all 3 tools in different cases.

Typically, we create a "base" image using InstaDMG, then use System Image Utility (or Casper's netboot creation tool).

In all of them we create scripts - so we can run regardless of environment.

I've already scripted a workaround to install Casper at boot, but all 3 solutions seem to cut down our imaging and deployment time, and streamlining production while keeping a fairly clean log of what is going on - which I think is what we ultimately want.

Thanks for the feedback - useful stuff.

Thanks,
jeremy

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Thanks to all you guys which recommended InstaDMG. This works great and I am
really happy I decided to take the plunge :)

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I've had similar problems in the past but I took peoples advice here from the community and I am glad I did.

Its worth working out InstaDMG when you have time.

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

I use instaDMG to build the vanilla build of the OS only. I don't add any packages. Once my up-to-date OS image file is created with all the Apple updates I drop it into Casper Admin. Then compile it from there. Plus if you are imaging with Casper you do not want to drop in the quick add package. Casper imagining will add the Casper ssh account to the machine during the imaging process, via the smart configurations tab.

I prefer InstaDMG because all I have to do is update the catalog files. I do not use it to splice in my packages though I use Casper Admin to compile once I have created my OS.

If there is enough requests I can do a tutorial or something on the subject.

Thanks,
Tom

Zvordauk
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I'd love to see a tutorial on that Tom.
I've been using InstaDMG for the past few years on sites but now that I'm moving to Casper it would be good to see how you combine the two.

Thanks,
Ger...

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We were using InstaDMG in the beginning, but we decided to standardize on the JAMF toolset for consistency. It seems like the "cruft" mentioned in this thread can be whacked during the imaging process using a script (remove a plist file). Maybe this should be an option in Composer or Casper Imaging.

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

SeanA
Contributor III

Tom,
Excellent, precise tutorial. Thanks a lot!