Installing 10.15.x Catalina

jangelini
New Contributor

I have a command set to install the 'Install macos Catalina.app' application but where I am getting hung up is it is still asking for an administrator user name and password when trying to install on the system volume. Is there anyway that this can be an authenticated command so that it doesn't prompt the end-user for credentials they will not know?

Setup: I've simply queued the app and ran an execute command "sudo open -a Install macos Catalina.app"

But the minute it tries to install...BOOM "enter admin user name and password"...

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You should be using the startosinstall command located inside the app at ./Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/

Do searches here for older posts on automated upgrades/installs of High Sierra and Mojave for more on how to use it. But the gist is usually something like:

/path/to/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --nointeraction --agreetolicense

You can see the commands by doing

/path/to/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --usage

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You should be using the startosinstall command located inside the app at ./Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/

Do searches here for older posts on automated upgrades/installs of High Sierra and Mojave for more on how to use it. But the gist is usually something like:

/path/to/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --nointeraction --agreetolicense

You can see the commands by doing

/path/to/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --usage

jangelini
New Contributor

Thank you!