Installing Epson USB Display App?

musat
Contributor III

Hello,
I've been trying for a while to get the Epson USB Display app captured to get into Self Service. I've resigned myself that it probably isn't capturable via Composer, so my next option was going to be to create a package that puts the installer app into Applications and run it from a script. Well, on our student Macs we get the error

You don't have permission to use the application "USB Display Installer"

I have checked all of my Restricted Applications (we've only got a handful), and verified that I can run any app that is in the /Applications/ directory. I also noticed that when I run it from Terminal, the install copies to the /var/tmp/ folder, so I added that to our list of allowed directories in our student restrictions, but still get that error.

When running from Terminal using open /Applications/USB Display Installer.app, I also get the message

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10810 for the file /var/tmp/TB_<cut out long ID>/USB Display Installer.app

So far nothing I have turned up helps. I have tried running this with sudo, tried playing with permissions, tried putting it in various other directories, but still get the same errors. Is this just one of those apps that I will not be able to get onto our student Macs? We can log in with our admin account and select the option to "Allow Once", bu that isn't really feasible for 2000 devices.

In case you were wondering, the software can be downloaded from: Epson PowerLite 1750

Thanks for any insight you can provide,
Tim Musa

4 REPLIES 4

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Do you use config profiles to block what apps students can run?

If so, look in console for 'mcx' and see what's being blocked execute privs and whitelist it.

musat
Contributor III

Wow, that was FAST!
Ok, I've looked in there before, but didn't really know what to be looking for. I looked again with more direction and see that in Console the path is listed as /private/var/tmp as opposed to just /var/tmp/ that shows in Terminal. So I have added that path and will see if it helps.

Thanks a bunch for the impossibly quick reply.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

@musat No worries. I had a weird issue and I think it was with something in that path, I had to whitelist all of /private to get it working. Just in case you run into that... I never had it happen with another path (that I usually whitelist pretty far down in the folder structure).

musat
Contributor III

Well, I wound up whitelisting /private/ as well, and the install now runs, but requires an admin password to continue. So it looks like I might not be able to "automate" this install. So annoying that they have this as an app, as opposed to a pkg.

Thanks for the additional troubleshooting steps.