Installing Final Cut Pro X in a 25 computer lab

JKling
New Contributor III

Sooo...
My research seems to tell me that loading an app from the Mac App Store is a little bit of a trust exercise. I am loading 25 iMacs with 10.10 and FCP X. I tried to figure out a way to distribute FCP through Managed Licenses, but everything there seems to be user based. So the proper method seems to be to load FCP on the machines from 1 Mac App Store ID and image it, but stay legal by owning 25 copies. Do this seem right?

3 REPLIES 3

scottnl
New Contributor

I manage about 100 lab machines with FCP X. We purchased 100 licensee with our admin Apple ID, I download it once on my master machine, and then create my image and deploy it to the labs. When there's an update, I download it on my master machine with our Admin Apple ID, package it with munki and push it out to my labs. That seems to work for us.

ronnycourtens
New Contributor

Scottnl,

I just joined JAMF and I would be interested to know more about your lab setup with FCP X.

Could you contact me so we can have a short talk?

My e-mail address is ronnycourtens(at)mac(dot)com.

Thank you!

mikeh
Contributor II

JKling,

That is the easiest way to do it, I think. I'm in a similar position as you and scottnl. Some alternative workflows suggest that you could create a dedicated AppleID for that lab, assign your FCPX copies to that AppleID through VPP, and turn auto-download on those machines.