Installing Software/Snapgene which requires Script executed by user.

georgbhm
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to install Snapgene, which requires the license install script to be executed as the logged in user as described here: https://support.snapgene.com/hc/en-us/articles/10304162065172-Command-Line-Installation-and-Activati...

My first attempt was simply to index using Composer, install Snapgene, execute script, build package with composer. Didn't work.

When I execute the script locally everything works as expected, whoever as soon as I try to deploy it using Jamf Pro it won't. 

I then tried to follow https://scriptingosx.com/2020/08/running-a-command-as-another-user/ to no avail. The license won't be installed. 

Is there another way, I'm not aware of, which would execute the script locally so everything works as expected?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Honesty there is no good way to do this. You need to impersonate the user in CLI. Where yes, it is possible, it is not a simple task and can be very buggy. Not all commands will work as expected when you impersonate a user. Jamf like any other MDM with CLI access will run everything as Root, but it seems like you are already aware of that.

Ultimately you are dealing with a vendor problem. It sounds like they have not developed their tools in an enterprise friendly way. Usually, enterprise apps use a single product key for the org or use credential-based license entitlement now of days. For our apps that still need product keys that are user specific, we just have users enter the keys manually.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Honesty there is no good way to do this. You need to impersonate the user in CLI. Where yes, it is possible, it is not a simple task and can be very buggy. Not all commands will work as expected when you impersonate a user. Jamf like any other MDM with CLI access will run everything as Root, but it seems like you are already aware of that.

Ultimately you are dealing with a vendor problem. It sounds like they have not developed their tools in an enterprise friendly way. Usually, enterprise apps use a single product key for the org or use credential-based license entitlement now of days. For our apps that still need product keys that are user specific, we just have users enter the keys manually.