Inventory-Only Records

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and has any suggestions:

We are looking to enroll two computers into our JSS for the purpose of inventory only. They should run no policies whatsoever (including 'enrollmentComplete') and enforce no restrictions or MDM profiles in any way. We want them enrolled solely for the purpose of recurring inventory, in much the same way that Recon.exe functions on a Windows machine.

Long story short, my department manages all of the Macs in the company except two, which are servers handled by the wireless team. Their preferred MDM product doesn't support importing the inventory into our overall database (which Casper does) so we'd like to have Casper gather the data in a read-only fashion.

I've read a number of guides which indicate that unchecking the "Allow JSS to perform management tasks" option in the computer's inventory will create just such a situation. It does, with the notable caveat that policies which are triggered immediately after enrollment will still execute. Has anyone found a way to skip those for a newly-created computer record (or to create a placeholder record which will allow enrollment without management)?

Thanks!

0 REPLIES 0