Inventory will be updated when all queued actions in Self Service are complete

citadmin
New Contributor

Dear All,

When I am trying to install something like Silverlight I get the message from the 'Self Service: Inventory will be updated when all queued actions in Self Service are complete'.

What does it mean? The packages I created are all with the same extension .pkg.

5 REPLIES 5

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

That usually just means that there are other tasks running (or waiting to be run)in Self Service or in the background and instead of updating the inventory multiple times if there are multiple policies that ask for an inventory update, it will just wait until everything else is finished and run it at the very end.

citadmin
New Contributor

Dear AVmcclint,

Thanks for your reply.

Does it also explains the message I receive next "Cannot Install Item"? Because I get that aswell.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

"Cannot install item" is going to depend on the specifics of the policy that's giving that error. You'll have to look in /var/log/jamf.log on that computer to start the troubleshooting process.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@citadmin When you get the "Cannot Install Item" error, is it actually installing in spite of that message? If so, I have also seen this. I don't have an explanation for why this happens, but it happens to us too occasionally. It's annoying, mostly because it seems inaccurate. I just don't know what causes it.

If on the other hand, its actually failing to install, that's a different issue and you would need to do some troubleshooting to see what may be going on with either the installer or your policy, or maybe an issue with the distribution point the installation is coming from.

citadmin
New Contributor

Dear mm2270,

Indeed I have done some reading and found out the same as you are mentioning. It seems the message is sometimes inaccurate.

However it is not installing at all. I am using .pkg files. Is it possible that not all .pkg files are installing true Jamf? That I need to edit it true Composer or use the .dmg or a .sh for instance?