iOS 10.3.1 and Clear Passcode Command

petedogg
New Contributor II

Anyone else seeing issues with running the clear passcode command on iOS 10.3.1 devices when using the USB Ethernet adapter>USB hub>USB to Lightning dongle?

I know this was is unsupported by Apple, but I am hoping its currently not broken.

Running JSS 9.97.1488392992

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@petedogg It appears to be broken in 10.3.1. Take a look at this post for more info: Rj45 adaptor for ipads

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

StoneMagnet
Contributor III

@petedogg It appears to be broken in 10.3.1. Take a look at this post for more info: Rj45 adaptor for ipads

petedogg
New Contributor II

Thanks StoneMagnet

gramsm
New Contributor

There is a firmware update for the cables. Check this out and it may work. We are currently not having any issues with it after updating the firmware for the dongle.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Geez. Yesterday I got a request in my Apple Bug Report on this issue to send them a bunch of logs... Why didn't they just say: Firmware Update!
Yes indeed, it did fix this problem!!

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

duplicate

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

@Sandy How did you confirm the Lightning USB 3 Camera Adapter firmware update fixed this issue? I've updated the firmware, but haven't seen it impact this issue in any way. As well, Apple has confirmed this problem in my enterprise support case and has not provided any work-around or solution.

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

After I updated the firmware on the adapter, you can see on the iPad (10.3.1) now there is an ethernet tab EDIT: below the wifi settings, which lists the adapter and even shows IP settings. I was able to shut off wifi on the device and still wipe a passcode and also restart the device using a push command from the JSS

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

@Sandy Please try the following. Leave Wi-Fi turned on and also plugin the Ethernet adapter. Set a Passcode on the iPad. Restart the iPad. Then try and use an MDM command to clear the passcode (without entering the passcode on the iPad first).

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Doing exactly what you said did not work.

This worked:
Add a passcode, leave wifi ON but forget all local networks.
Restart device, plug in ethernet
Passcode clears

This did not:
Add a passcode, turn wifi off
Restart device, plug in ethernet
No commands go

petedogg
New Contributor II
This did not: Add a passcode Restart device plug in ethernet No commands go

This! Commands still go through if on the wireless, just not when connected to the dongle after the iPad restarts and has no wireless connection. I am however seeing the Ethernet adapter show up in settings when the device is unlocked.

I am using the standard Lighting to USB not Lightning 3 to USB.

Hackert
New Contributor III

Did anyone ever solve this issue? I went out and purchased a USB 3.0 to lightning adapter. A student has forgotten her pin code and restarted the iPad (temporarily turning off wifi). I sent a Clear Passcode command out, but I have tried to use the Mac - Internet Sharing option and the lightning cable to USB 3.0 (powered) to network adapter method. I cannot get the command to go through!
If I place the same combination of adapters on another iPad, the Ethernet shows up in Settings and it can surf the internet without WiFi. But that does me no good if the Clear Passcode is not pushing through it before I type a passcode.

The iPad is on 10.3.1, and yes I did update the firmware on the USB 3.0 adapter.

On a similarly frustrating note, ever since updating to El Capitan, my Mac cannot use the "Share internet" via usb cable anymore. I plug in any iPad or iPhone and the USB iPhone connection doesn't show.

Any ideas?