IOS 15 Restore Issues

nj4318a
New Contributor II

Hi All,

We're a school that manages 1300 iPads for students. Our students iPads have restrictions (such as no App Store), and we manage all our apps via VPP so they can be easily automatically distributed. We've been running into an issue with iPadOS 15. Anytime we restore from a student's backup the auto install app command never actually gets through. The apps are just stuck on waiting. In the past, a quick blank push would get the management commands through. Now the only way to fix it is to delete the app placeholder off the device and then push the command again. Is this just an IOS 15 bug or is there another way to get around this? It really slows restores down when I have to go through and manually reinstall each app. They are set to auto install for a reason. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

CairoJXP
Contributor

I'm seeing the same thing as I just tried restoring a backup to a device on 15. A few apps appear to have installed by some stroke of luck, but about 98% of them just hang in waiting. A portion of these apps are set to auto-install but even the ones you install from self-service do nothing when attempting to install in that fashion. Soft reset on the device does nothing like it used to in the past when this happened.

CairoJXP
Contributor

Just an update. I contacted JAMF about this today, here's the case number if you need to reference it: JAMF-3250487.

nj4318a
New Contributor II

Awesome. I'm glad someone else is seeing the same issue. Yesterday, I managed to get the apps that are set to convert to managed, even if installed as unmanaged to go through, after sending an inventory update. Still not a permanent solution however. Thanks for the reference number! Keep me posted on if they have any answers!

I was requested to contact apple which I've done. The case number is 101525999866 and I spoke with them today. I'm going to reply to JAMF with this case number as well so they have it.

nj4318a
New Contributor II

Not surprised to see JAMF kick the can down the road on this. I'd be surprised if this was an Apple issue. Thanks for the update. Let me know if Apple has a solution. I know 15.1 is out today, so maybe that will work smoother with managed restores.

I'm speaking to Apple today and I actually updated one of my iPads from 15.0.2 to 15.1 and it actually made it worse. Now it's not going through prestage properly for us. We have the "require credentials" set so the user signs in and the device then registers with our system. In this case it's not registering at all, although it is getting JAMF profiles installed... The plot thickens... If you have time, I'd call apple and reference the case # I gave you so they can hear from others that this is happening. To my recollection, they hadn't heard from anyone else, so, the more people who complain, the better.

The person at JAMF I'm working with said 10.32 is the first version of JAMF Pro to support iPad OS15 and that maybe we should upgrade to 10.33 and see if that helps. What version of JAMF Pro are you on?

nj4318a
New Contributor II

I'll try and reach out to Apple later and add a voice to the chorus. We're cloud based and we're currently still on 10.32. We don't control the updates so presumably they will roll that out to us in the next few days. I still think this is an issue on JAMF's side. There are always problems with IOS transitions. Hopefully that fixes it. 

nj4318a
New Contributor II

FYI we're on 10.33 now and it did nothing to address our restore problem. Still failing to auto install apps. Still have to manually delete placeholders. 

CairoJXP
Contributor

We are on 10.33 as well. I can still restore a 14.7.1 backup to a matching device and I think it works if the device is on 14.8 as well but can't remember. I tried updating a student iPad to 15.1 and restored that to another iPad on 15.1 and it worked, but there was an exorbitant lag for apps to install; 30+ min in some cases when it normally took maybe 5 at most.

I did hear from Apple that this restore issue is known, has been replicated and is being worked on. The updated case # is 80536197. No estimates as to when it'll be resolved and I did let the apple engineer I've been in touch with know about the 15.1 app install delay.