iPad Enrollment over Ethernet

strider_knh
Contributor II

We at time have to enroll iPads over Ethernet using the Apple Lightning Camera Adaptor setup. This is a backup solution that we don't use often but allows for a device to be managed and have a JSS entry to be made. It has been very useful.

We are running JSS 9.97 and have not updated to JSS 9.98 since we use device based VPP and with the bug that stops the auto updating of apps we are not in a rush to update.

Here is the problem we are having. Enrollment of an iPad over Ethernet worked fine under iOS 10.2.1 Once a device gets updated to 10.3 the enrollment over Ethernet no longer works properly. The device will enroll in the JSS and receive an MDM profile but the enrollment never finishes. This is easiest to see if this is a new device, the JSS will show that the device in unmanaged and an inventory is never done. This does in fact leave the device without any of our Configuration Profiles and the device will never communicate with the JSS again since the JSS says it is unmanaged and it controls all communication.

The same thing happens with a device that already has a JSS record, not just new devices.

I have tried this with the update 10.3.1 and the result is the same. I heard about a firmware update for the adaptor and confirmed that my adaptor had already been updated and the result was the same. I even took a device home and had the same result, removing out network as a possible problem. This has occurred on all devices we have tested this with.

Has anyone else running JSS 9.97 seen this? Also, does anyone have JSS 9.98 installed and can confirm if this happens?

2 REPLIES 2

marcus_ransom
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

I am experiencing the same issue - my investigations are showing that push notifications are not getting to the device via ethernet. I have radar open with Apple about this and have been advised it is NOT expected behaviour. Hopefully we will see a resolution ASAP

Person
New Contributor III

I am running 9.98 and have experience this on new and upgraded iPads. I am unable to push profiles or pull inventory until I connect to wireless which slows down the setup process. Any updates on this issue?