iPad lost all management options and has weird apps

Tolandese
Contributor

Soliciting ideas from anyone who may have thoughts on this fun situation. I was rebooting some repaired iPads from the summer and came across one that was not initially showing in our instance. The asset tag number was gone. I followed up with the serial number and found it under a different device name. Going into the device there were some pending and failed commands that never processed, but every management option disappeared. Checking the inventory shows 0 apps and 0 profiles. On the device itself I can drill down and see where it says it is managed by our verified MDM profile and everything shows there. The really weird part is there is some strange app on here that looks like its from an original iPad Gen 1 based on its logo. I verified it wasn't a webclip or a bookmark and it behaves like a webpage but there is no URL bar or navigation. It's not a book either. we block the app store completely so I checked to see if it was sideloaded somewhere and I can't find a trace. I'm currently making a backup because I want to play with this one and see what I turn up, but I also wanted to let the masses weigh in on if this has been seen elsewhere?dd3c438a696e46458a571e502966b7f6
9ab02c1878484f60b45c24053dec5320

2 REPLIES 2

Krbonus
Contributor

I remember seeing something identical to this like losing all the management command and 0 apps/profile just after you send a wipe command to an iPad and it goes through the wipe. If you go to settings then device management, do you still have your MDM profile loaded there?

Not sure about those strange apps though...

Tolandese
Contributor

Yes, the MDM profile still exists there. I don't have a need to deploy this device right now so it has become my pet project. I am moreso interested in the app thing considering all the ways I know to get apps installed are proving not to be the reason here. I am going to bring down the student tomorrow and ask for their current device and see what they know. No punishment at all, I just want to solve the puzzle.